Chapter 2

"All right! I'll do it. But I'll be wanting Professor Merrythought's old office, not that water closet I had formerly. And I expect a raise! These are mad times we live in! Mad!" Harry and Dumbledore turned back to Slughorn.

"Indeed they are." Dumbledore lead Harry back toward the Village Square.

"Sir, exactly what was that all --" Harry tried to ask, but Dumbledore cut him.

"You are talented, famous and powerful -- everything Horace values. Professor Slughorn is going to try to collect you, Harry. You would be his crowning jewel. That is why he is returning to Hogwarts. And it is crucial he return." Harry looked intrigued by this last statement, but before he can pursue it, Dumbledore glanced ruefully at the moon.

"I fear I may have stolen a wondrous night from you, Harry. She was, truthfully, very pretty. The girl." Harry looked up at the sky and shrugged.

"It's alright, sir. I'll go back tomorrow, make some excuse. Harry stops. Dumbledore is shaking his head." Dumbledore shook his head and looked down to Harry.

"You'll not be going back to Little Whinging tonight, Harry." Harry looked up to Dumbledore with shook.

"But, sir. What about Hedwig? And there's my trunk --" Dumbledore cut him off again.

"Both are waiting for you." Dumbledore extended his arm. "This time Olivia will not be there." Mystified, Harry reached out. As his fingers touch the silk of Dumbledore's cloak, he stumbled to one knee and wincing.

"Sir?" Dumbledore was already gone. Harry rose to his feet and glanced around. In the distance a crooked house shimmered in the night sky. A pretty girl with red hair moved briefly past an upstairs window.

----

Ginny dashed down a vertiginous staircase and flow into the kitchen. She looked at the large trunk and owl cage. Curious, she cocked her head to one side. The owl did the same in return. "Hedwig...? Mum!"

A clock hung bearing nine hands, each inscribed with a Weasley name. They all pointed to mortal peril. Mrs. Weasley appeared and looks down. "What is it, Ginny? Is it your father? Has something happened at the Ministry? Has he been kidnapped? Is it the Death Eaters?" Mrs. Weasley shot off.

"Exactly. How'd you guess?" Mrs. Weasley threw her hands up over her face. Ginny felt slightly sorry.

"I'm joking, Mum." Mrs. Weasley glared at your youngest child.

"You're worse than Fred and George."

"Now you're joking. I was only wondering when Harry got here." Ginny asked and Mrs. Weasley looked confused.

"Harry who?" Ginny looked at her mother with a bewildered expression.

"Harry Dimpleton. Harry Potter, of course." Mrs. Weasley shook her head.

"I think I'd know if Harry Potter was in my house, wouldn't I?"

"Well his trunk's in the kitchen. And his owl." Ginny told her mother, but she didn't seem to believe her.

 "I seriously doubt that." Just then, Hedwig screeched and Ginny gives her an I- told-you-so look. Another door opened and Ron looked down.

"Harry? Did someone say Harry?" He asked and Ginny rolled her eyes at her brother.

"Me, nosy. Is he up there with you?" She asked up to him and he shook his head.

"'Course not. Think I'd know if my best friend was in my room, wouldn't I?" Another door opened and Hermione, in a robe and toothbrush in hand.