E I G H T

Clay Jensen

THE PLAN WAS ALL SET FOR CLAY and his friend Justin. During the baseball game they were going to sneak into clubhouse and gladly take whatever they can find for evidence against Bryce Walker.

"Claire, you ready to go?" Clay yelled for his sister from the bottom of the stairs, "Justin and I will be waiting in the car" he said once again and exited the house into the small blue car he possessed.

Almost ten minutes later, Claire entered the car. Clay turned to look at her, something was different about her.

"Hey, you're actually dressed up" clay said.

"Thanks, Clay" Claire said, shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

"No, really Claire. You like nice" Justin said with a sweet smile, "it's nice not seeing you in sweatpants and a baggy hoodie"

"Guys, really, thank you" Claire said with a real smile: although she'd never tell them, she needed the compliments.

"What are you doing after the game?" Clay asked looking over Claire.

"Going to Bry-" Claire began but stopped herself. Claire took a deep breath and looked down at her fingers, "going to Bryce's" she said fast and looked out the window.

"Oh" Justin said and looked out the window as Clay drove, "why are you still friends-"

"Oh no no," Claire said and shook her head, "I'm not friends with that thing. It's for Scott and Monty" she said rolling her eyes.

"They're even worse" Clay mumbled to himself, but quickly took it back once he realized Claire was listening, "sorry"

"It's fine, see you guys later" Claire said as she hopped out the car and ran to the bleachers, looking for Scott's mom.

"Okay, you got the code?" Justin asked getting out of the car.

Clay nodded his head, repeating the code to himself every couple seconds as they quickly walked behind the bleachers.

"Okay, ready?" Clay asked as they approached the clubhouse.

Justin nodded and watched out for anyone who may be approaching the two boys as Clay unlocked the lock.

"Remember, look for the polaroids or anything that looks- bad" Clay said and looked around at the old musty shed.

"Everything in here looks bad, dumbass" Justin said and rolled his eyes.

The two boys searched for what seemed like hours, but was cut short by minutes when Zach Dempsey walked into the clubhouse.

"Zach?" Clay asked as Zach began to explode.

"I'm not like them. They use this place as a way to get away with shit that they shouldn't be getting away with" Zach Dempsey said loudly as he tugged on his hair, "everyone thinks were all rapists, but it's only Bryce and fucking Luca, and-"

"Wait," Clay said cutting Zach off, "were you the one who was sending me the polaroids? Why so secretive? Why couldn't you just talk to me, zach?" Clay said, suffocating the boy with questions.

"Because, Clay, I'm a fucking coward and you're not" zach said letting tears slip from his eyes.

"Are there more?" Justin asked calmly, not wanting to cause the boy to feel more frightened or cowardly.

Zach Dempsey nodded before walking over to a shelf, picking up a tool box: so rusted took box that it's color had come off.

"These are all of it" zach said handing over the tool box to clay, "use these to your advantage," zach said and shook his head.