Chapter 14

"CLEMENTINE!"

Someone is screaming her name, their voice full of anguish, cracking partway through and sounding as if they were on the brink of tears.

It's only when he sees Aasims and Omaes pitiful yet alarmed looks, a few walkers making their way over at the sound when he realises it was him.

The horrendous screeching of the boats twisted metal had mostly overpowered his scream, though a few walkers had taken notice, lumbering over in their direction.

Shit. Minnie had taken Chairles from him, and presumably had taken any weapons Aasim and Omar may have had before they were taken away.

Time to do what he does best...

Improvise.

He grabs the only thing nearby that's usuable; a chunk of rock that laid next to the boulders they were hiding behind. He turns around just as he feels the walkers rotting hands brush against his back, swinging the rock into the walkers jaw as hard as he can. It does the trick, the walker collapsing to the side from the impact. He gives it one last hit, ensuring it stays down.

"Louis!"

Aasim and Omar are huddled in fear, having no defence against the oncoming dead. He runs to their aid, yelling with the effort as he swings the rock in his hands at the walkers head. It's rotted head caves in at the impact, any resemblance to a human face gone with a single hit.

It becomes autonomous, taking out any walkers that dared venture too close, flinching slightly at every splash of blood that lands on his face from the walkers he hit.

They never seem to end. Just an endless horde scattered around them, no way of taking them all on and no way of sneaking through.

"Is that Clem? And AJ!"

Aasim has his arm outstretched, pointing towards the wreck that was once a boat. He nearly sobs in relief when he realises Aasim is right, it was them. They were alive!

The boat rumbles from within the water, exploding once again. He lifts an arm to shield his eyes from the sudden flash of light, rapidly blinking to clear his vision. He can just about make out the sight of Clementine and AJ sprawled across the floor, thrown from the force of the explosion.

His brow knits in confusion when he sees someone approach to help her up, not able to recognise the figure. Was it James? He did move odd after all, kind of like a walker.

Or...or perhaps the figure was a walker...

He rushes forward when Clementine startles, backing up from the walker and searching for a weapon. Just as the creature gets too close for comfort to her he swings the rock down hard on the top of its head, the walkers knees buckling and collapsing to the floor.

His lungs are burning from the exertion and the smoke in the air, dropping the rock in his hands to the floor in relief at the sight of them unharmed.

"Louis!" AJ exclaims in delight, scrambling to his feet.
"You made it!"

"Yeah.... Yeah I did. I'm still kickin'." He gets out shakily, waiting for the adrenaline to wear off as he places his hands on his hips.

Clementine collides into his front, burying her head into chest and squeezing him as tight as she can. He brings his own arms up to rest against her back, eagerly returning the comfort.

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you right now" She tells him, nearly laughing with relief at the sight of him.

Oh, she couldn't even begin to understand how untrue that was.