Chapter 7

It takes tireless hours over the next few weeks to prepare everything for the upcoming raider attack. With Clementines help, Violet is able to create an efficient plan, giving out tasks best suited for each individual at the school.

It's no surprise that Mitch is on bomb duty, spending most of his time holed up in the basement as he tries to make an explosive with what little resources they have.

Aasim, Tenn, Ruby and Willy work on, uh, "decorations". Willy puts his log crafting skills to use by sharpening what wood is available, Aasim and Ruby helping to put them up as barricades.

Tenn is more than happy to be sat in the court yard, using his pencils and paintbrushes on stripped pieces of cloth. Although, he's not exactly happy with what he has to write out...

Meanwhile, Louis was placing the last of the barbed wire on the schools walls. He lifted an arm to wipe away the sweat on his brow with an exhausted groan, the heat of the day taking a toll on him.

"I don't know what's weirder."

He looks down from his perch to see Violet observing him, crossed arms and an amused smirk on her face.

"What do you mean?"

"You without your coat, or you doing some work."

"Oh, Hardy Har Har" Louis laughs sarcastically, dropping to the ground next to her with a grunt.

"So, how's everything looking?" Louis asks as they walk towards the court yard, admiring the changes that had been put into place over a short period of time.

"Everything seems alright. Out here, at least. Then again, I have no fucking clue." Violet huffs.

"Why don't you ask Clementine? You said she's done something like this before, right?"

Violet nods thoughtfully, looking to him with a worried expression.

"How are you guys doing, exactly? Haven't really seen you two talk all that much..." Violet asks

"No, no we haven't, I... I guess I've been too busy, y'know?"

"Too busy?"

"With everything that's been going on, all this shit with the raiders, I..." He trails off at Violets unimpressed look.

"Guess there's no use lying to you, huh?" he says with a sad chuckle. "I want to talk to her, I do. But..."

"Marlon?"

To her surprise, he shakes his head.

"I've done a lot of thinking over the past two weeks. About what Marlon did, to the twins, to Brody. What he was going to do with Clem and AJ."

He looks to Violet, feeling ashamed.

"You were right from the start. I just couldn't, or, wouldn't listen. I should never have blamed them for it, for what AJ did. He reacted in a way a scared little boy would, and I somehow forgot that's exactly what he was."

Violet keeps her head turned towards him, nodding to encourage him to continue.

"She must hate me for it. The both of them should."

"No, Louis. She doesn't. Honestly? I think she misses being able to talk to you."

"I know. She actually told me, the night AJ was shot. And that's the fucked up part, isn't it? After all I put her through, put them through, she still missed me..."

"So...you can't talk to her because?"

"Because I don't know how." He admits to her.
"I have no clue what I would say. How to make things better. I just want things to go back to the way they were."