[5/15]

~Chapter 5~
Breaking the Ice 

The soft crunching of snow filled the silent forest as the three of you trampled through the freshly fallen powder. You trailed behind the two as they happy conversed, a small frown crossed your face as you watched them. 

Larry glances back at you, a small smile on his face, "So, (Name), are you nervous about school?" 

You snap out of your thoughts at Larry's voice shaking your head slightly you jog through the snow to catch up with them, 'I mean yea, of course, I am. I'm starting a new school in the middle of the school year.' 

Sal nods along in agreement as Larry claps you on the shoulder, "Don't worry too much just stick with us and you'll be fine." 

Returning the smile, the three of you continue on in silence until you finally arrive at the place the boys had been telling you about for days now, Wendigo lake. It was a pretty large lake, surrounded by trees and seemingly complete frozen over. With little hesitation, Larry and Sal descended onto the ice with you following slowly behind them. Larry slid across the ice before turning back to your shaking self as you struggled to keep your balance and not fell on your face. Almost silently Sal slid in beside you, offering his arm to you which you gladly took as the two of you shuffled along to join Larry further on the ice. An hour went by and you had gotten used to moving around on the slippery surface. 

A loud crack sounded from the ice beneath you, quickly you shuffled away, your gaze quickly shifts from the crackled surface below you and the boys who were too far away for you to wave down. You let out a loud squeak as the ice shattered beneath your feet, plunging your body into the freezing water below. The icy liquid flooded your lungs before you got a chance to close your mouth, you struggle against the water using all of your strength to break the surface but your now-submerged clothing weighted your body down. 

A pair of hands clamp down on your arm, pulling you up enough for your head to break the surface where another pair of hands helped pull you up on to solid ice. A few minutes of coughing followed as you did your best to purge the freezing water from your lungs so much so you barely register the hands patting your back. A warm jacket drapes itself around your shoulders as another set of arms wraps themselves around your waist, hoisting your arm over their shoulder. It took you a moment for you to realize it was Larry, his red sweatshirt around you as he hauled you off the ice. Sal stood on the sidelines, his wet sweater clinging to his arms as he waited for you both to get closer, once you did he moved to your other side, placing your free arm over his shoulder. The three of you began the walk back, quicker than you had on the way there to avoid the impending hypothermia. 

It took twenty minutes for you all to arrive back at the apartments and by then the three of you were barely stumbling along. The warm atmosphere inside the apartments felt like fire against your freezing skin, the boys on either side of you let out a relieved sigh. 

Mr. Addison peaked out through his mail slot as the two dragged you passed his door, "Oh my, what happened to you three?" he questions as you stop to wait for the elevator. 

Larry carefully adjusted his hold of your waist as he turns his attention to the open mail slot, "(Name) fell into the lake." 

The elevator opens in front of you and Sal begins to pull you in, quickly followed by Larry as he snapped out of his conversation with Mr. Addison, "Hope you feel better." His voice rang out as the doors close and you descend into the basement. You could barely see Lisa's panicked face when the three of you enter the apartment, all you can remember is her warm hands pulling you from the boys and the warm sensation of water on your hands and feet before you woke up on Larry's bed. Sitting up the blankets that covered you fall to your lap as you glance around the room, Sal and Larry lay on the floor a small space heater between them. 

A smile crosses your face as you glance between the two, pulling a blanket off of you, you throw it over them. "T-" Your throat tightens as you squeak out a single sound before closing your mouth again. 

Silence is best.