Chapter 5: The Polars

I whisper sorry in Courage's ear as I hold a cloth damp with chloroform to her face. After she stops struggling, I hang her over my shoulder and whistle as I trudge to Fallen Rock. The fading sunlight filters through the trees, dappling the rocks and dirt. I feel the heartbeat of Courage as she slowly breathes on my lower back. I stop and move her body so that I'm carrying her in my arms. Her head falls against my chest and I turn red. Why am I blushing? She's unconscious.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

I walk for five minutes. Up ahead

I see it. Fallen Rock. The large boulder's surface shimmers, barely giving away the entrance. Courage groans and her eyes flitter so I pick up the pace. As we near the rock, she's fully awake. And confused. "Where are we..? Did you just kidnap me?" I tap the rock, revealing a hand scanner. I press my hand up to it. As it scans, I meet her eyes. "I wouldn't say THAT.." The shimmery surface melts away, revealing a dim staircase into the ground. I hook my arm behind her legs and the other arm on her back as I pick her up again. She glares at me. "I can walk you know." I smirk and carry her into a huge room with 5 other people sitting at a table. I nod to them. "We got her."