Chapter 2: Scales and Stripes

I wince as Chloe's screech pierces the air. "SNAAAAAAKE!!!" She backs up quickly, tripping over someone's foot and bowling over all the Preps. Their eyes widen as they see the snake and the girls scream, running into the arms of the guys. Roalind looks up at the guy who's holding her and frantically cries, "Do something!  You're a guy!" He stutters on his words,  "N-No way! I hate snakes!" He looks up from the front of the cowering group and over at me, as I walk over, rolling my eyes. "Really? Ribbon snakes aren't poisonous." I bend over to pick up the reptile by its small, frail body as a teacher comes over. She stops a couple feet away from me, as I get back up, snake in hands. She points to the fence. "Courage Macheln, get rid of that.. Creature, or it's detention for you!" I look at her.

"But I'm eliminating a threat. Shouldn't I be getting rest points?" She fumes, "Don't sass me young lady!" As she storms away, I walk across the grass towards the thick metal fence. As I let it through the bars, a gleam in the grass catches my eye. I reach out with my fingers,  until they lock around a small, silvery disc. On the front is a man's head. The back is a majestic bird of some sort, its wings spread wide. I slowly stuff it in my pocket as I walk back. I rack my brain for the name of the small object. As I reach for my backpack, the word comes to me.

Coin.

The word made me tingle. But I caught myself repeating it.  Coin. It was currency, but you could see it unlike how we tapped a pin into a small machine, and paid for things we need. I shake my head as I run up to join my friends. I'll show them later. Right now,  I can't wait till class.

I hear we have a new kid.