Chapter 4

This chapter is dedicated to JamieWeasley because I know you've had a rough time lately, and I thought that this would be a ncie way to chear you up! Also, your votes on this story helped push me to 500 total votes on my profile! Thank you sosososososososososososososoooo much!

Chapter 4

    I truly loved working at Henson’s Books. There was something about the smell of archaic books and the comfort of warn leather chairs that just sang to my soul. When I walked in, a little bell above the door dinged loudly, echoing off the high walls that were crammed with towering bookcases and overflowing with books. Stepping behind the glass counter, I dropped my backpack to the ground and stretched my arms high above my head, cracking my spine and shoulders.

    “Mr. Henson,” I called out. “I’m here.”

    A man in his late sixties with solid white hair that he kept tamed by one large braid running down to the middle of his back stepped into view. His face was kind with soft, gentle features and his almond eyes shone in the golden light of the store. “You’re early, Alexander.”

    Shrugging at the old man, I smiled. “I ran here.”

    Mr. Henson disappeared behind a shelf of books as he spoke. “You aren’t expecting a raise are you?” He asked with a chuckle. Mr. Henson was probably the kindest soul I ever came across. His towering stature didn’t even hold an air of intimidation for the sheer face that everything else about him practically screamed that he was a nice person. Even his voice held a kindness that people loved and flocked to.

    It would be an understatement to say that everyone around town absolutely adored Mr. Henson.

    I chuckled as I rolled up my sleeves. “Not at all, old man; though, I do work my fingers to the bone. I believe some retribution is in order.”

    Appearing seemingly out of nowhere, the kind giant stepped in front of me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. It was a simple hug, a hug that friends share. Mr. Henson held the ability to care for his business all on his own, yet when I walked through his doors utterly exhausted from desperately searching for a job and trying not to become absolutely homeless while still trying to cope with the loss of my sister, he offered me a job instantly.

    I cried that day, and all he did was wrap his arms around me.

    “How was school today, Alexander?” He asked when he stepped back from me.

    I shrugged. “Uninteresting as usual.” I chose to exclude the fact that something interesting did happen; I didn’t want Mr. Henson knowing about my gifts.

    He turned and went back to straightening the contents of a bookshelf. “You really should care more about school.”

    I waved him away with a smile. “Why would I care about school when I get to work in this lovely establishment for the rest of my life?”

    Turning around, Mr. Henson raised an eyebrow at me. “As much as I would love the company, you should start looking into colleges.”

    I wrinkled my nose at the thought of going through even more school. “No thank you.” I had alternative plans for my life outside of high school.

    Mr. Henson locked his dark eyes to mine, giving me the this-discussion-is-far-from-over look before turning around and returning to his work.

    I looked up to Mr. Henson, and I felt that he took over the role as the authority figure in my life when my parents kicked me out. It worked out nicely for both of us though. Mr. Henson had no children of his own, and my parents didn’t want me.