Chapter 1

Chapter 1

    The screeching of my alarm manhandled me from my peaceful slumber. I yawned widely as I rolled to my back. It was another dull Oregon morning. Even though winter break ended, winter still clung in the air. Stretching in my sheets, I rolled off the bed, landing on my palms and the tips of my toes.

    I did as many sets of pushups I could until my muscles screamed and burned in protest. Pushing myself to my feet, I stretched once more before stepping into my jogging pants and a thick sweater. Rolling the sleeves up, I grabbed my iPod from the mess on top of my dresser and stepped into my apartment’s tiny bathroom.

    My obsidian hair hung into my eyes; I was in desperate need for a haircut. Staring into the bright blue of my eyes, I saw my sister looking back at me. Shaking my head, I raked my fingers through my hair, brushing it from my eyes.

    I hated that I looked so much like my sister; it was like she followed me everywhere I went. Maybe that was why my parents…

    I cursed quietly to myself at my thoughts. With another shake of my head, I walked through my apartment and stepped into my ratty running shoes. There was no better way to clear my mind than a jog through the bitter air. I dropped my keys into the depths of my pockets and pulled open the front door, stepping into the frigid morning.

    The apartment complex I lived in wasn’t large, but it wasn’t too small either. The exterior was painted the most unsightly mint green. It consisted of two levels and had a large oval shaped road wrapped around it. The road became my personal track; no one else in the complex seemed to wake up as early as me to use it.

    I usually beat the sun to the morning.

    Leaning down, I stretched, touching my toes. I rolled my neck and stole a deep breath, exhaling slowly. I watched as my warm breath sent a cloud through the air. I slipped my iPod’s ear buds into my ears and immediately blasted my running playlist which consisted of overly angry music that I would normally never listen to.

    I usually leaned more towards the Pop side of music.

    I ran, keeping my eyes fixated forward and my breathing even. I found an inner peace when running that I never seemed to have around me any other time; this was the only time I could extend my mind to its farthest, touching the thoughts of nearly everyone in the apartment complex.

    This was the time to train my body and mind.

    Closing my eyes, I withdrew into myself, my senses dulled around me instantly. With a deep breath, I opened my mind’s eye, the world instantly burst into a hyper saturated version of its former self. Even the layers of grey sky above me changed into vibrant blues. The air seemed to hold a golden glow.

    This was the world my sister and I longed for. It was so beautiful, rich, perfectly untainted by the darkness of reality. In this world, she and I were all-powerful; however, without her assistance, I rarely had the strength to bring myself wholly into this world’s brightness. Now, I only skimmed the surface.

    Focusing, I extended the border to my mind, finding the thoughts of a woman as she just awoke.

    “I have to get out of here,” she thought. Her thoughts were crystal clear to me, resonating in my own mind as if they belonged to me. “I can’t believe I ended up here with him.” I could feel the disgust rolling through her body. “I’m never drinking that much ever again; I’m no slut. Oh god, I’m totally a slut. Where is my bra?”

    A smile touched my lips as I inched from her mind. That was a prime example of why I never drank. Who would enjoy not being able to control himself?