Chapter 6

Chapter 6

    When the wicked witch, I mean, princess finally decided to grace us with her presence, she groaned and began walking around my apartment like one of the living dead. “You alright?” I asked from the kitchen. Matthew and I were cleaning up after our cooking venture.

    Sarah flicked her wrist in our direction in some sort of half-baked good morning gesture as she plopped her body into a chair at the table.

    “Good morning?” Matthew asked from where he sat on my counter. 

    Sarah only let out an inhuman groan as she ran her fingers through her wild, fiery locks.

    Sarah really wasn’t a morning person.

    I dried my hands off with a kitchen towel and sat beside Sarah at the table, simultaneously sliding her omelet in front of her. “Sleep well, sleeping beauty?”

    Matthew snickered from behind me. We all knew that my best friend was far from a sleeping beauty. I would bet money that when sleeping beauty awoke, she didn’t have a nice crusty layer of crust built on her chin. Then again, what did I know?

    “I feel like poop,” Sarah said elegantly as she began to cut into her food.

    Matthew swung off the counter and chose to sit next to my best friend. “You have a little,” he rubbed his thump on his chin, “something right there.”

    Sarah dropped her fork as her eyes widened in horror. “What?” She began rubbing her chin furiously.

    “It’s just a little crusted over drool,” I said matter-of-factly, trying to keep a straight face.

    Instantly, Sarah’s freckled cheeks burned a bright shade of red, bringing life back into her pale, walking dead complexion. She glared at me; her vivid green eyes transformed into daggers, daggers that she would have gladly driven into my chest. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

    I shrugged. “I figured you would notice sooner or later.”

    Sarah stood up, dramatically shoving her chair backwards and storming into the bathroom. On her way, she mutter a string of unbecoming curses that had me in a near fit of hysteria.

    “She’s an odd character,” Matthew said with grin. “I like it. Texas was full of obtuse people with squared corners. It’s actually kinda refreshin’.” His smile touched his eyes, making his grey depth shine.

    I smiled back, more so at the fact that I found his southern drawl sounded almost exotic, but also because I could literally feel the boundaries peeling away from his usual guarded smile like the layers of an onion. “That is one thing I can say about Oregon; it’s filled with plenty of interesting characters.”

    “I’ve noticed,” he paused as if to think for a moment and then went on, “you’re one of them.”

    The look in his eye in combination with his words struck me oddly. Though I knew I had particular gifts that set me apart from the rest of the county, I felt normal. Hell, my abilities probably set me apart from the rest of the world, but I didn’t see myself as particularly interesting or special. I mean, let’s face it; I was a rather boring person who followed the same general routine every single day of his existence.

    I figured that things would become a bit more interesting when I finally had the chance to sit down and devote my life to my sister; I figured that maybe then I could claim to be interesting.

    “What do you mean?” I asked with a smug grin forming on my lips. I had to hear this.

    Matthew shrugged shyly. “You just are.”