My Best Friend the Cluessless

Jane's POV

"Hi, Jane," Harry's stepdad greeted me as we made our way into the kitchen of the main house.

He was sitting on a stool, leaning on the kitchen island with the morning newspaper between his fingers.

"Morning, Uncle Robin," I greeted him back with a small side hug as well.

"Go ahead and eat some breakfast," he gestured to the food on the dining table.

"No, that's quite alright. I have quite a few errands to run." I declined.

"Is my son making you do things for him again?" He questioned with one eyebrow raised.

"When doesn't he?" I countered.

"True..." He nods his head in agreement."I mean, Harry would not have been able to graduate if it weren't for you..."

"And he wouldn't have learned to tie his own shoes," I laughed because it was partially true. I started tying my own shoes practically a whole year before Harry did. He used to only wear shoes with the velcro straps. However, he begged his parents to buy him laced shoes and made me tie them everyday until I finally made him learn.

"You both know I'm still here right?" He piped up as he leaned against the counter.

"Which is why we're talking about you, son," Uncle Rob joked raising his coffee mug to his lips.

"We're leaving now," Harry groaned dragging me by the arm.

"Harry! Wait," Uncle hollered to him.

Harry reluctantly slowly walked to his father. I tried not to be nosy but those two can never have a quiet conversation.

"If you think she's the one, then give it to her." I caught Uncle Robin say and saw him place a small item into the palm of Harry's hand. Harry simply nodded in response before walking back to once again drag me by the arm.

He walked us to the passenger side of his Range Rover and opened the door for me to literally jump into the seat. The struggles I have to get into the car are insane. I jump, miss, jump again, cling to the seat, wriggle a bit, and then Harry eventually help me in. I thank him and he closed the door. When he closed the door behind him as he sat in the drivers seat and put his seat belt on.

"Ready?" He asked me.

'No,' I thought. Of course I could never tell Harry that.

"Seems more like that question is directed towards you..."

He chuckled lightly. He put the keys in the ignition and began driving out his driveway and onto the streets.

"Well, when you propose you wouldn't be sure if you were ready either."

"One, I don't plan on proposing to anyone because I find that to be a man's job. Two, if you're not sure you're ready, why are you going through with it?"

For a split second, he spared me a glance.

"You know why." I sensed his body tense beside mine.

I didn't want to answer him. I know if I push the question any further, it'll only upset him even more. Harry was the kind of person who made it difficult to open him up. I've learned to know him by picking up the little things he does.

For instance, when he crinkles his nose, he's doubting you.

Also, if he blinks too much, he's confused.

"Just drop me off at dry cleaners and I'll take a cab to your place." I said hesitantly. I didn't know if the waters were safe enough to test yet.

"No, that's fine. I'll pick you up." I noticed his knuckles were white as he clenched the steering wheel.