No, This Is Not An Attempted Murder.... Yet!

~~~

Excuse the mistakes

dedicated to skitseason, who made the banner on the side. It's been my phone home screen for ages, and now I finally get to show ya'll! 

For those who demand a recap: shit happened. boy with girl now. cute things have happened. (this is why I don't do recaps)

~~~

“What is with you and surprises?”

I was flipping through my closet, looking for a nice jacket, and I glanced over my shoulder at Duke, who was sitting on my bed. He had sat back and propped his body up with his elbows, and he was glancing at his phone when I asked my question. After a brief moment, Duke looked up from the screen and frowned.

“I’m sorry, what?” He asked, clearly having been distracted. “I was reading an email from my coach.”

“I just asked what is with you and surprises,” I repeated, feeling awkward. No matter how comfortable I was with a person, I always felt weird when I had to repeat something that I had already said.

“Oh,” Duke said, and he shrugged and shoved his phone in his pocket. “I don’t know, exactly. I mean, on the one hand, movies taught me that they’re romantic. But also, I just think it’s fun to see you try and figure it out.”

“Oh, yeah, figuring it out it the best part,” I replied, a hint of sarcasm to my voice that Duke didn’t pick up on. I still hadn’t told him the flaws with asking a girl on a surprise date because he liked them, and it wasn’t like they were harming me. Plus, they always turned out to be fun.

I decided on my blue and green Patagonia fleece jacket because it was chilly outside, and I didn’t know what Duke’s plans were. Unlike last time, I wasn’t given a hint as to our destination, so warm was good when you were uninformed. Plus it went nicely with my dark blue jeggings and long-sleeved lavender shirt. I was confortable, but I still thought I looked cute, and I was happy with that combination.

As I shut my closet, Duke cleared his throat, and I heard my bed groan as he stood up. “Ready to go?” he asked, and I nodded and turned around.

“Yes sir,” I replied, tugging on a pair of black booties. I unplugged my phone from the charger in the wall, and then I reached for my wallet, which was sitting on my bedside table.

“Don’t even think about it,” Duke said, and he cut me off by standing between the table and me.

“What?” I asked, frowning at him.

“I’ve got tonight covered,” Duke declared, “So don’t even think about bringing your wallet.”

I started to protest, but then I stopped and thought for a moment. I decided not to argue with Duke, and I nodded and smiled. “Thanks,” I said, and Duke grinned before walking around me towards my door.

With his back to me, I snatched my wallet off of the table and shoved it in my pocket before he could catch me. Then, I turned on my heel and hurried out of my room. It’s not that I didn’t think Duke could pay, or that I was ungrateful. In fact, it was the complete opposite. However, Duke had paid for both our coffee “date”, if one could call it a date, and he’d also paid for bowling. So, I wanted to cover something.

I followed Duke down the stairs, and I waved goodbye to my mom who was in the kitchen. She gave me a suspicious eyebrow raise but waved back, and then I walked out of the house, closing the door behind me. My mom was still a little weirded out by the situation, and, I mean, who could blame her? My relationship with Duke was bizarre, since we lived in the same house and whatnot.