Leave It To The Lesbian To Shut Him Down

~~~~

Excuse the mistakes

Dedicated to chooseitwisely because her stories are great and me and her both do hazardous activities (ice hockey and riding horses respectively)

~~~~

I would rather keep staring at my ceiling than get up for school this morning.

I’d been awake for the past fifteen minutes, but I hadn’t moved a muscle. Instead, I just stayed on my back on my bed, my comforter half on half off, and my eyes fixed on my white ceiling. I’ll admit, it’s not very captivating, but the thought of actually getting up and dealing with Duke made me more willing to just stay in bed.

I could hear him in the shower, which was buying me a little time, but I also had to get dressed, do my hair, and eat breakfast before Olive arrived to take Duke and me to school. That pretty much meant that I needed to roll out of bed now, unless I wanted to end up looking like a hobo all day.

And it begins, I thought to myself, and I groaned before pushing myself up so that I was sitting. I pulled my blanket off and swung my legs over the side of the bed as I yawned loudly. Then, I stood up and walked over to the bathroom. Duke was still in the shower, and for a split second, I thought about pounding on the door and yelling at him to hurry up. However, thinking back to last night, I had a different idea.

I pulled on a tank top, since I’d gone to bed in only a pair of shorts and a sports bra, and then I opened the door to the bathroom. I hesitated for just a moment before slipping into the bathroom, and I made sure that I was looking confident.

I picked up my toothbrush, and without even a glance at back at the shower, I put some toothpaste on the bristles and started brushing my teeth. I heard the sound of the shower being turned off, and a second later, I glanced up in the mirror and watched as Duke grabbed a towel that was hanging on the hook outside the shower. Then, he pulled back the curtain.

“You know,” he said, smirking at me, “if you wanted to see me naked, all you had to do was ask.”

“I’m just getting ready for school,” I said innocently, and then I bent over and spit the toothpaste out. I quickly washed my face, and when I stood up, Duke was standing a lot closer, and by closer, I mean he was less than a foot away from me.

I didn’t find myself breathless, like maybe another girl in my position would be. I also didn’t find myself nervous or at a loss for words, which was surprising to me. Usually, I could think of something funny or witty to say to someone, but I would keep it to myself unless the person was my parents, Olive or Lillian, or my studio family. Boys, like Justin, usually made me go quiet.

Duke, however, seemed to be an exception.

“Your ego is a little too close,” I stated, my eyes narrowing at Duke. Then, I put my hand on his slightly wet, muscular chest and pushed on it. Duke, who had been caught by surprise, took a small step backwards. However, a moment later, his smirk returned.

“You and I both know that we’re going to end up in bed together,” Duke said, getting even closer if that was possible, “It’s inevitable, Harper.”

“Wow, I don’t even know how to respond to that statement of stupid,” I replied, blinking and taking a step back. I put my toothbrush back in its place, and then I turned and started out of the bathroom. “I’m going to get dressed.”