Well, Hell, I Was Wrong

~~~

Excuse the Mistakes

Dedicated to NaturallyFiona, who made the cover on the side!

~~~

“Don’t lie to me”

I spun around and spread out my arms, presenting my outfit for judgment. I was wearing a dark brown dress, which had spaghetti straps and ended two inches above my knee. It was a plain shift dress, since I wasn’t sure how dressed up I was supposed to be. This seemed like a happy medium, and I liked the dress. However, that wasn’t the issue.

“Does this clash with my cast?” I asked, desperate for a second opinion. In retrospect, yellow was a poor cast color choice since most of my clothes didn’t really go with the neon color.

Olive frowned and cocked her head to the side. She opened her mouth, and then closed it with a grimace, and after a moment, she opened it again. “Absolutely,” Olive replied, and I groaned.

Olive, as per usual, looked perfect for the Marx competition reception. She was wearing a strapless, dark orange romper with some long, gold necklaces and dangly, gold earrings. Her hair was up in a messy bun, and she had on some gladiator sandals. I envied that fact that both of her arms were bare, and not in a neon cast that was starting to itch like hell.

“Do you want help?” Olive, asked, and she started to stand up.

“Freeze!” I cried, pointing at her, “I want to pick this out myself.”

Olive put her hands up in surrender, and as she sat back down, I returned to my closet. I flipped through the hangers, and I came to the back of the closet where I hadn’t dug around in a while. I looked at dress after dress, most of which were cute but not “the” dress, and I almost called in Olive for backup. However, just before I opened my mouth, I came across it.

The dress was one I hadn’t worn in a while, probably because I forgot about it, and I plucked the hanger off the closet rod. The dress was plum, and the front was simple, while the back had a lattice-like design. The dress required me to go without a bra, which wasn’t a major issue since I didn’t have much need for one.

I slipped out of the brown dress with as much ease as a casted hand would allow, and with the same amount of it, I unhooked my bra and pulled the plum dress on over my head. I straightened the dress out and let out a deep breath before turning around to once again present myself for critique.

“Clash?”

“Nope,” Olive answered, giving me two thumbs up, “You look fantastic!”

“Thanks,” I replied happily, and I grinned.

I walked over to my dressers and opened my jewelry box, and I rummaged around until I found the earrings I was looking for, which were silver infinity symbol studs. I tried to maneuver the studs in a way that I could get them into my ears, but I guess my frustration was evident because before I knew it, Olive was at my side, putting my earrings in for me.

“There you go, cripple,” she said, smirking.

“I could’ve done it myself!” I declared, and Olive snorted.

“Maybe,” she replied with a shrug, “but we would’ve been here for awhile.”

“True,” I admitted, and Olive nodded. I glanced at the clock on my bedside table, and bit my lip. “Just let me finish getting ready, and then we can head out, okay?”