Chapter 14 ~ Trampled Feet

Yay! Look at me being 100% more on schedule! :D Aren't you all so proud of me? Well, It isn't as long as I'd have liked, but I still think this is a pretty good chapter.  Keep in mind that this is still ball day one.  I don't actually mention what day it is until the end of the chapter, so i thought I'd get that out of the way right now.  Anywho, I hope you enjoy this chapter.  I really liked writing it.  Comments and votes are VERY much appreciated! Thank you for supporting me! Have a great rest of the week!  

                                                ~Brittany

***********************************************************************************************************

"Eliza, you should go over to him!" I said, grinning wickedly.  A tall looking guy with shaggy red hair sat all alone in a secluded corner of the crowded ball room.  He wore a fitted, pale green suit.  Flaming orange wings with golden detailing protruded from his back.  Every so often I'd see him glance up at Eliza.  Every so often I'd see Eliza glance over to him.

Eliza blushed, realizing I'd caught her and stared at the ground.  She tucked a strand of her beautiful auburn hair behind her ear and bashfully shook her head, peering up at the young man through her eyelashes.  He happened to look at her at the exact same moment.  Their eyes met and for a moment time seemed to slow to a crawl.  Then, as quick as a flash her eyes were glued to me and he was back to staring at the ground.

"I can't, Nadia!  I haven't seen him since last year!" she exclaimed.

"So what?" I asked, placing my hands on her shoulders. "I haven't seen anyone ever!"

"You don't understand, Nadi!  He and I have a history!" Eliza hissed, shrugging my hands off her shoulders and rolling her eyes.  I placed my hands on my hips and examined her face, tilting my head to the side and narrowing my eyes suspiciously.

"What do you mean by 'history?'" I asked, my lips pressed into a thin, straight line.  It was very strange ans slightly unsettling seeing Eliza so nervous and insecure.  So much so, that it almost seemed out of character.  I was accustomed to the loud, happy, outgoing Eliza- not this!

"Last year he asked me to marry him, but I wasn't ready for a serious relationship yet.  At least, not that serious of a relationship.  I would've been perfectly fine had he just simply asked me to go steady with him!" Eliza explained.  She kept switching between fiddling with her hair and adjusting her dress.  I flinched at the mention of a wedding proposal and bit back the harsh 'at least you got to say no' that threatened to burst past my lips.

"So do you still like him?" I asked instead.  Eliza's eyes filled with a mixture of emotions and she nodded.  We both glanced back at him.  He was still staring at the ground, but now he was twiddling his thumbs together.

"I don't want to go over to him because I don't know how things stand between us, but... Could you?"  Eliza asked, staring at me with begging eyes, her hands clasped in front of her bosom like a pleading angel.  I smiled and nodded before walking quickly towards the man.

"Hello!" I greeted him cheerily, snapping him out of his thoughts.  He stood and almost toppled over trying to bow so fast, but I caught his arm somewhere between his elbow and wrist and helped him right himself.

"Good afternoon, Princess," he said politely, coughing to clear his slightly raspy voice. "I don't believe we've met yet."

"Nope, we haven't, but I have a vague idea of who you are.  What is your name?" I asked.

"Christopher," he answered, stuffing his hands awkwardly into his pockets.

I nodded, "I'm Nadia.  I came over here because-"