Confessions

(A/N:) not really spoilers but there are some names that might be revealed later on so maybe some stuff from season two

A spring breeze blows gently across the sparring grounds and Eren finds him standing alone, leaning against the railing of the porch. He doesn't particularly have anything to say, but his feet bring him forwards, ocean eyes glancing towards the source of the footsteps as if he's been startled before he relaxes. He gives a soft smile. "Hey, Eren." he says before turning back to the sky. Eren stands beside him, folding his arms and following his gaze. The clouds seemingly glow golden in the light of the setting sun, the sky itself an incredible mix of pink, orange, and red. Eren has always found sunsets to be beautiful and vaguely wonders why he hasn't taken the time to look at any recently. He looks over at his best friend and wonders the same thing.

His blond hair is shimmering in the gentle sunlight like gold laced in honey. It perfectly frames his face and when Eren looks he sees the constellation of light freckles across his nose, the soft curve of his smile, the ocean eyes sparkling in the fading light. Eren loves seeing Armin like this. When he isn't worrying about a mission or training, when it's just him and this eternal moment. When he loses himself in his own world whenever he observes the one around them in silent serenity. Blue meets green and Eren hurriedly turns away, feeling his face heat as he flushes in embarrassment and maybe something else. Armin doesn't say anything and though Eren isn't looking at him, he knows he's smiling gently the way he does when he's around. It's a smile that only he has ever seen and he isn't quite sure why he never thought about it much before. It's the one he thinks looks best on him. "It's nice," he speaks without meaning to. The blond meets his gaze with a slightly puzzled look and he clarifies, "The — sky."

Armin lets out a gentle sigh, looking back at the sun as it sets over the tops of the trees. "Yeah..." he breathes like he's distracted. Eren glances over him again before clearing his throat. "Armin...do you have feelings for anyone?"

Blue eyes fill with something he seems to recognize, but isn't sure how to name. The light blush that dusts his cheeks is stunning, but it might seem less so depending on how he answers. He smiles softly. "What?" he almost laughs and Eren hates how nervous he feels. "I was just...wondering. I thought maybe...."

Green eyes dart between blue. "You had feelings for Historia."

Armin giggles and Eren notes it sounds almost as if he's relieved. "Why would you think I like Historia?"

Eren shrugs because even he doesn't exactly know the answer to this question. Maybe it's because he's overheard the other cadets going on and on about how she's the most gorgeous person in the corps. Eren doesn't agree with them.

"I don't know. I guess she's just...turned your head a couple times."

He smiles and looks at the landscape again, letting a soft sigh fall to the railing and melt there. "No. Though I will admit she's really pretty, I don't like her anymore than a friend."

His heart skips a beat. He swallows nervously. "Do you...do you feel that way about anybody?" he asks and the blond hesitates, visibly stiffening before he replies, "Maybe I do."

Somehow Eren knows that actually means he does. His curiosity gets the better of him. "Who is it?"

Armin lets out a laugh. "Eren, what's up with you? Why do you want to know who I like?" he asks, but there's no bitterness in his voice. "Am I not allowed to know things about my best friend?" he replies with mock offense, though somewhere deep inside he feels a spark of fear. He giggles before falling silent, looking at the ground. "So who is it?"

He looks at him then and Eren gets the feeling he's not going to answer any of his questions, so he decides to guess. "Is it Mikasa?"

"No!" Armin laughs, tucking a piece of hair behind his ear and Eren's suddenly breathless. "No, it's not Mikasa."