Chapter 38

My mother's phone call was about to interrupt the interesting conversation I was having with this strange fellow. I was getting some valuable information and didn't want to lose it. I had questions, and lots of them. Now I only needed to ask those questions. I switched my phone off and put it back in my bag.

"That was my mother on the phone. She wants me to come home for dinner."

"You have good parents. You need to cherish and love them."

"I do love them." I said looking at him.
"But you doubt them. And when doubt sets in, it leads to serious suspicions. They only tried to prevent losing you."

"Really?" I asked, remembering how they came back home and told me they had fixed the wedding. He nodded.

"So much as to come back and tell me they had fixed my wedding date?"

"It was a necessary step."

"Why?"

"Because you already told them you wanted to spend the rest of your life with this man." I gulped. 

"No one could stop you. Not even your friend the policewoman could stop you when you first told her about him." I sighed and leaned back on the chair and looked up.

The ceiling fan rotating above me, was blowing cool air. It reminded me of the time Ola told me he wanted to end our relationship due to my unforgiving attitude. That moment, I had decided nothing and no one would ever make me lose him. 

"And besides..." He paused briefly while he stared at me. His silence stirred me and I sat upright and faced him.

"Besides what?" I asked

"You never asked questions." He replied. I was baffled, and looked away. I had been asking questions all the time. I never got answers.

"That is not true. I have been asking questions, since the day this man walked up to me and told me I would be his wife." I responded, facing him.

"Quite true. But you followed your heart and forgot to ask the real questions.  You never asked to know about the most important people in the man's life."

"What?" I asked widening my eyes.

"Don't panic. You only knew his father, you don't know his mother.  And he never told you about her.  That's because you never cared to ask him. But she came briefly to the wedding."

"What? And why didn't I see her?" I asked trying figure who it it might be.

"When the ring fell out of his hand it rolled down the alter."

"I know, a woman appeared dressed exactly like the woman in my dreams. I fainted."

" That was her." My eyes widened when he said that.

"But she  only came to show her disapproval of the marriage."

"And why was she against it?" 

"He already had a son with another woman." 
"Ah no, no,no. Just don't tell me it's true. I don't want to hear that."  I covered my ears and was shaking my head, until I saw the waiter  staring at me. 

"The waiter is beginning to feel uncomfortable with your attitude. You should remain composed. After all, the hotel manager already told you your husband had a son."

"I know, but I didn't believe him." I said closing my eyes. So truly Ola had a son by another woman and he never made mention of it? I couldn't believe he could do this to me.

"Being a devout Christian, your mother-in-law  insisted he marry that woman. But his father had other plans."

"Yes, because his father and my father were friends. And so they decided to unite the two of us."  He nodded.