Chapter 36

I was driving down to see my parents after I left Nancy at the house. In a hurry to go out, I  forgot to take the keys from her. I should have told her to leave so I could lock the door.

But I was desperate to meet my parents so much that I didn't care about anything.

Nancy had told me not to look further, or to find out what happened. All of this sounded strange to me. And in fact, a  lot of things were happening which didn't make sense.

I started to wonder what else would make sense. Will meeting my parents provide anything useful? I asked myself as I drove. 

Considering the happy mood in which my parents were when I called them, I had a feeling I wouldn't get much out of my meeting with them.

And as much as I hoped they would tell me something I could use, I just had to conclude it would also end with them still telling me to give up on finding the truth.

I just couldn't get past the idea of not knowing what really happened to Ola and why. On reaching my parent's house, I honked the horn of my car. The gateman seeing me, opened the gate. I drove in and parked my car. I sat in the car for a while before deciding to go in.

On reaching the front door I knocked while I took a deep breath, waiting for my mother to open.

I knew she would be in the house as she never really went anywhere apart from the supermarket or when she went out with my dad. She was the typical housewife always waiting patiently for my dad to come home.

When the door finally opened, I was hoping to see my mum welcome me in. But, I was wrong. She had left the door and walked away leaving me to enter unattended. I entered and closed the door. 

I then looked around the house like I was a stranger. The house I lived and grew up in, carried the same welcoming atmosphere as before. But for once, I felt a little strange being inside it.

"Tola, I'm here, don't just stand looking around. Nothing about the house has changed since you left."  My mother was sitting down a little too relaxed, with her hands folded across her chest.

One look at her told me she was probably prepared to answer any question I might have. I had questions, but knew I might not get the answers I really needed.

"How are you and how is daddy?" I asked, as I came to sit down opposite her. For a brief moment she didn't answer me but stared straight into my eyes.
"I should be asking you the same question, my daughter."
"Well, as you can see, I'm struggling with a loss I can't explain how it happened."
"Your dad and I are sorry for your loss. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it from happening."

I was a little surprised by that statement. Coming from my mother, it sounded like Ola's death had already been decided.

"I mean, you knew it was going to happen?"
"Tola, am I a witch to know that?"
"Sorry mum, I was only asking, since you said I couldn't have done anything to prevent it."
"Tola try and understand me and stop arriving at some unnecessary conclusions."
"But mum have I said you know something about it or did I accuse you?" Just then the front door opened and my father came in. I got up when I saw him.

"Welcome dad." I greeted.
"Ah, has my big girl come to see me?"
"Papa Tola, warn your daughter, o. Warn her very well." I looked at my mother in disbelief. She was taking my question so seriously enough to be angry with me. I looked at my father as he stared at her.
"It's alright now Fola. Seeing she's grieving the loss of her husband, you shouldn't be too hard on her."

"I only told her she couldn't prevent it from happening. She is now trying to say I know something about Ola's death." I sat down again after greeting my dad, wondering why my mother was taking it all wrongly.