chapter 11: stronger than this

Chapter 11: Stronger than this

I felt numb, no, I couldn’t feel at all. I couldn’t help but think that none of this was worth it; none of it was worth losing my unborn baby.

I had always wanted a baby; it was constantly on my mind. I guess in a way I wanted, no, I needed someone to love. I knew I would be a better parent because of all the things I had been through.

Having a baby was all I wanted, it had become my dream and it too had been taken away from me. I touched my stomach and felt the emptiness. I wished they hadn’t told me.

Nate, Blake and Angie had been hovering around me for days and I could feel my pent-up frustration rising.

“Could you all just get the hell out of here!” I shouted with red-rimmed eyes and arms flailing wildly around me. I broke into sobs when they had all left my room in a hurry.

I felt so lonely, and moving into the guest room wasn’t helping. Nate had begged me not to, but I did anyway. No one could understand my pain; it wasn’t just because I had lost my first pregnancy but because I had almost lost my life, again.

Ever since I entered Nate’s life it has been one problem after the other. If this was how rich people lived then I wanted no part in it. My life before Nate may have not been the best, but at least I was alive to live it.

Who was to blame for all of this?

****

I had been locked up in this room for three days without food, I didn’t want anything in me, my baby wasn’t in me anymore so why should food be there? That was my depressed reasoning.

Later that day I felt a little sane and decided to call Angie. I felt bad about the way I had been treating her lately.

The phone rang twice before an irritating voice answered.

“Hey Al. I heard you lost your baby” she said in a mocking tone. I felt the rage building up inside me. Why was she with Angie? I thought they hated each other.

“Where’s Angie” I said in a hard tone, willing myself to remain calm.

“ANGE! You’ve got a call!” she yelled away from the phone but loud enough for me to hear. Angie was soon on the line, trying to catch her breath.

“Hey Ally” she said nervously.

“What is she doing at your place?” I spat, I couldn’t hide my revolt. I could hear Angie fidgeting as she tried to come up with an excuse that would please me, but I wanted the truth.

“We’re just hanging out” she whispered. I didn’t need anything more, I cut the line. I was seething, what kind of friend was she. She Knew that Caroline was after my husband and she befriends her?

I couldn’t stay in the house any longer. I grabbed my bag and keys and walked out; I needed to clear my head. I knew that Nate was somewhere around the house but I didn’t care; I didn’t even bother to tell him that I was leaving.

As I was driving I thought of people I could call, anyone I could talk to and suddenly the perfect person came to mind. I dialled the number and waited.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Ally. Can I see you?” I asked nervously, why was I nervous?

“Of course! You didn’t have to ask. Meet me at Hatton Park in 10 minutes”

“Great, see you there” I ended the call with relief and determination. I would get through this.

****

It was getting dark, maybe I shouldn’t have left the house so late, I thought. I parked my car a block away from the park. I needed a little walk to psyche myself up, I knew that what I was about to ask for was outrageous, but I had to anyway.

Thoughts of my encounter with my mother filled my mind, she had warned me sternly, and only one name came to mind, Angelina Peters. How had I not seen it before? Of course she was friends with Caroline; they had known each other for years. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t realised this before.

I kept my head down as I walked. I wanted to get back home soon; I had an uneasy feeling growing in the pit of my stomach. I pulled out my phone and dialled Nate’s number.

There was a sudden sharp pain at the back of my head. I touched the back of my head and felt the pain; I slowly brought my hand down and looked at it and saw the blood. My vision became blurred and my body went limp as I collapsed on the pavement and the last thought I had before the darkness consumed me was, ‘not again’.

****

“Ally, wake up. You have to be strong”. My mother’s voice was so calming, I almost thought I was dead.

“I can’t mom. All this is too much for me” I said in-between sobs. I couldn’t find the strength to fight anymore, death was calling me, maybe it was time I answered.

“Be strong and alert. If you can think fast, you’ll get out alive” she said with a serious look on her face. I knew that my pain was hurting her, I could see it in her eyes.

“Maybe I don’t want to live” I said as I looked down at my hands, trying to avoid her gaze.

“Allyson Peters! Don’t you ever give up on life, you hear me. I did, and it was the worst mistake I’ve ever made. Remember what I said” with that she disappeared and I felt the throbbing pain in my head again.

My natural instinct was to touch my head but my hands were locked in position behind my back. I tried again until I felt a burning sensation on my wrists. I winced in pain and decided to at least open my eyes.

I got irritated because my eyes wouldn’t open, something was in the way. That’s when it all clicked in my brain, I was blindfolded and my hands were tied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Hello! Thanks for reading. Please drop a comment or vote or fan. A few chapters left (this IS a short story). Thanks J