A Silent Lover 9: Dilemma

Dilemma

 (Chapter Nine of Just an Heir’s prequel – A Silent Lover)

Part One – Hang-Out

Carlos was bored to death.

Stephanie decided to host a dinner with her friends, and one of them was Kevin, her best friend. They were talking loudly in the restaurant like teenagers, catching up and kidding around. His wife looked very happy while teasing her best friend.

“You are looking handsomer these days!” Stephanie joked.

In a non-biased point of view, for Carlos, Kevin gained weight since the last time he saw the guy months ago. Honestly, Carlos was under the notion that Stephanie likes her best friend, but she was hiding it. She looked like flirting with him. Another proof was that she was very talkative with Kevin and that they whispered to each other like lovers.

It had been more than a month since he was rejected and although it still hurt, he just accepted that he won’t stand a chance and just kept his distance to his wife. His work and his son did a great job distracting him from her and those were what mattered to him right now.

“Well, Steph, of course I am,” Kevin smirked at her.

“Where’s Elize?” she asked the others. One of them answered that the Elize girl was going to be late because she had to buy the bag she really needed to buy at the mall.

Carlos just stared at his wrist watch to check the time. It was nine in the evening, and Rafa was fast asleep in his stroller. His son was the only person keeping him sane from this stupid gathering he wanted to leave if he can, but of course, her friends will doubt, so he was stuck with the uncomfortable chair with his wife beside him.

He hated being so near to her physically, yet so far emotionally. Now he was sounding like a girl. He must stop now.

“Kevin I just remembered why you didn’t ask Steph out. You used to like her.” Another friend asked Kevin.

Carlos paled deep inside, but he kept his composure and pretended he wasn’t listening.

“Hey, Stephanie’s husband is here!” the friend beside the one who asked the question elbowed him lightly. That friend looked guilty and looked at Carlos, who was trying his best to look casual and smile. “I apologize for this guy. He’s just an arse,” she replied. “Do you remember my name? It’s Kaye.”

“Ah yes, Kaye, I remember you,” Carlos lied smoothly with a fake smile. He didn’t really care about the girl, but he thanked her for elbowing the guy for him.

“Kevin, the question is still up,” the guy, who was actually Robert if he remembered correctly smirked at Carlos. Of course, Carlos won’t let him win, he smirked back. Kevin looked for Carlos for assistance. Carlos nearly rolled his eyes, but he smiled and nodded. He wanted to hear Kevin’s answer.

Kevin smiled, “I was scared of Steph. She rejects guys who ask her out. She never had a boyfriend.” Steph never had a boyfriend? Carlos was surprised. Stephanie was beautiful and many good-looking guys had asked her out for sure, and yet she never chose any?

Showtime. “Dear, is that true?” Carlos asked Stephanie softly with a smile. It might seem to be just for show for her, but for him, it’s not an act. He was honestly glad that stupid Kevin didn’t ask her out, or he’ll castrate him.

She nodded, with a surprised expression in her face. He smiled and kissed her cheek. “I love you.” When he said those words to her, he had no idea how much he wanted to say that to her again. It was hard to hide one’s feelings and pretend uncaring and angry. He pulled away slowly and smiled to himself. He was content with that already.