Just Married

March 26, 2006

Amsterdam, the Netherlands

KRISTINE

Every bride's dream consists of an elegant wedding gown, with matching diamond shoes that reflected in the light, a veil made of a delicate and expensive cloth, a set of golden jewelries, and lastly, a handsome groom.

Kristine was not a dreamer, but she wanted a fairytale-like wedding. It was the only compensation that she would get for marrying someone for business. As a member of the elite society, she had already prepared herself for this scenario, yet a part of her still felt disappointed. After all, her older sisters Thalia and Soledad found their happily-ever afters from the same society.

Her palms were sweaty, and she kept rubbing it on her gown. She can't stop panicking, dreading what was about to happen. All those times, she thought that she was ready for this marriage, but she was wrong. Thank God that her veil that covered her face, or else the people would see her anxious expression as she walked down the aisle.

A piano version of MLTR's Paint My Love started playing, accompanied by a duet. There were many visitors - her siblings, relatives and other closely-associated businessmen. She looked at their smiles, wishing she could do the same. Was this what her parents had felt when they got married? She walked prudently, chin up, trying to muster courage.

It was just a wedding. She could pull this off. She had to, or else, she would ruin her family's relationship with the van Kirks.

Michael was not that nervous. He felt nothing, knowing that he saw this coming. His bride was slowly approaching. A Spanish beauty, just like what his father told him. Her hair was blonde and her eyes were brown. She had a fair complexion, her exposed skin looking soft and smooth. He knew that he sucked when it came to women since he hadn't dated girls. As a man however, he knew other men will think that his bride was in fact attractive. When she approached him to his side, he realized how uneasy she was.

He can't blame her, though. The wedding was not a pleasant affair to go through.

Kristine looked at the intimidating man in front of her. Her husband-to-be was a big man, and what she meant by that was someone unlike in other stories whose hero had a sexy body. His rosy cheeks were chubby. When she looked at his hazel-colored eyes, she squirmed due to its coldness. A formal gray tuxedo matching her gown, white dress shirt underneath. His posture emphasized his prestige and wealth. He had a Rolex watch on his left wrist and a golden bracelet.

Yet, she thought that he was cute.

"Hey," she greeted with a sheepish smile.

The groom only stared at her, thus allowing for her blush to creep to her cheeks. Instead, he offered his arm with an emotionless expression.

"I thought you're going to ditch me," he whispered.

"I hope I am heartless enough to do that," she replied, chuckling, and linked her arms with his.

They proceeded to kneel in front of the church altar and the priest. The orchestra played Canon in D until the priest cleared his throat on the microphone. He greeted the two with a warm smile.

"Ladies and gentlemen, family and friends, we are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the joining of Michael Keaton van Kirk and Kristine Victoria Pelaez in marriage," the priest began and talked about the importance of wedding and how it was an important celebration for the family and friends who gathered inside the church.