Well done Fenris!

Today were walking to the market – all of us this time! Fenris is quite pleased about this, as he wants to meet lots of new people! He’s been wagging his tail ever since he knew we were going to the market!

It’s 19th December today; still icy cold outside!

I can see Fenris’s paw prints in the snow again! I don’t know what he’s been doing out there, but there seems to be a big round circle in the snow every now and then!

The holes have gone now, the snow filled them up! Mum said it was a home of some kind, but what type of animal can be that big?

“Ready to go walkys Fenris?” Laughed mum.

She seems quite into Fenris now. She took him for a morning walk five days in a row! Today would make it six!

“Are you ready Lottie?” She asked.

Am I ready?

I said “Yes.”

Anyway. Its freezing out here. Its like your in a big freezer!

Fenris doesn’t mind – he’s got a thick coat!

It’s hard to see Fenris in the snow, he’s the same colour as it!

I can hear my boots crunch the snow, as icicles drop from the trees. The icicles are wonder full! Their clear and shiny – like their made from glass!

“What are icicles mum? Like what are they made from?” I asked, as I stopped to touch one.

It melted in my hand straight away.

“Their made from Ice. Water basically.” Mum answered.

The snow is getting thicker as we reach the market. You can just about see the high stalls, the busy sellers and lots of crowds.

The market is buzzing today with lots of people, loud shouts and convincing talks. As you can imagine, Fenris went mad when he saw the roast turkeys!

“Their not being roasted very well Fenris. Its cold you see. Maybe we can get you frozen turkey instead today. We can unfreeze it at home. How does that sound?” I whispered into Fenris’s ear.

Fenris nodded and strutted away from the turkey. It’s not every day you see a wolf do that!

“Argh! It’s a wolf! That’s, that’s a wolf!” one Lady screamed as she pointed at  Fenris shivering!

“Fenris, hide” I whispered to Fenris.

He hid behind my back. Too late. Every one in the market stood dead still and looked at Fenris. All went quiet. What should we do?

“He, He saved us all yesterday.” Said my brave mum.

I could tell she was scared. Fenris came out from behind my back.

“He really did” I shivered.

Everybody started chatting quietly.

“What from?” A tall man called.

“The holes. In the ground?” My mum called.

“So that’s why they disappeared?” Shouted a thin, greedy woman.

“Yes.” I called.

Hopefully that was all they wanted to know.

“What’s his name?” The same woman called.

“Fenris” I answered.

Mum smiled.

“Well done to Fenris!” Murmured a young lad at the back of the crowd.

Fenris looked pleased.

“Yeah. Well done!” Shouted another.

Suddenly all the crowd was saying “Well done” and “Brilliant wolf”!

I felt proud for Fenris.

After all that fuss at the market, we decided to buy Fenris a big turkey for Christmas day! He doesn’t know yet. It’s going to be his Christmas present!

Were home now. In the warm.  I thought about what Fenris would think of Christmas. Would he think it as the worst day of the year or the best day of the year?

No one knows.

He knows the basics, like the Nativity and Santa, but I still think he will not understand it at all...