Chapter 13

Although Chibs couldn't see the vehicle he automatically assumed it was Unser when he heard the car pull up, flashing lights hitting the brick wall on either side of him. He smiled, shoving his gun in his pants and walked backwards to the opening of the alley, his eyes never leaving Keith.

"Excuse me, sir?" A female voice hit his ears and it was not one he recognized.

"Aye?" Chibs spun and leaned on the right wall hoping to hide Keith as he sat on the ground behind him. "Is there a problem officer?" An Oakland cop, Chibs hadn't expected that.

"You alone?" She asked, her eyes falling on Keith half way down the alley. It was a weak attempt at hiding him but it was all he could do with her standing right there.

With a gruff laugh, he shook his head. "Buddy of mine, his wife just left him so he's been on a wee bit of a bender." She nodded and, with her hand on her baton, moved down to Keith. "There's no problem, really. I was just coming to get him home, we'll take care of him."

Chibs' top lip twitched as Unser, just a few minutes late enough to cause a real problem, skidded to a stop in front of the Oakland PD car. "Excuse me, officer." He hurried into the alley. "I'm Chief Unser with Charming PD. I was just coming to help these two out."

"He tried to rob me ma'am." Keith said as he stood up and dusted himself off, his face riddled with fear as he rubbed the back of his head. "Whacked me in the back of the head. "I'm sober and not his friend, not at all."

The female officer turned, eyebrows raised high in suspicion. "He seems sober to me. Did you hit him?" Her hand moved from her baton to her gun now. "All three of you, get out of the alley and on the street, now."

"I can handle it," Unser spoke forcefully now. "Unless you think we should have this discussion with your commanding officer?"

"I can radio over for him," She challenged. "Or I can arrest them both."

Wayne looked at Chibs, they were really in a tough spot. If she didn't spook and called his bluff her commanding officer could cause a lot of problems. "Or, you can take your friend there back to your neck of the woods and I'll deal with this man."

"I don't want any problems," Keith said. "I don't want to press charges; I just want to go home."

It was a tense few minutes while Unser and the female officer stared each other down cold. Unser had no options, he wasn't even in his own jurisdiction. The Oakland department was bigger with more politicians that he couldn't chat up easily to make this all go away. If Unser went to bat for Chibs it would shine a light on that relationship and it would be bad for everyone.

"Come on, Telford." Unser said turning back, head hung low in shame. "We'll have to go back." He whispered now, "None of us wants to start a political war. We'll have to get him back."

-----

"Amelia. Amelia T-R-A-G-E-R." She spelled her name again, slower the second time, as she held the ice pack she was given upon arrival to her face. "Is Dr. Knowles in? She can do all this, it'll be easier."

The receptionist seemed less than thrilled to have to make the special request but it wasn't surprising since Juice was escorting Amelia. A cut usually meant Tara would have to be called. "I can see if she's free."

"Please, that would be wonderful."She and Juice took a seat watching as the receptionist made arrangements for Amelia to be seen by Tara. The woman simply nodded at them and Amelia could breathe a sigh of relief. At least it wasn't some random doctor.

"Does it hurt?" He asked, scratching a random bit of dried blood from her shoulder. Juice really wasn't sure what to do or say, he just wanted to make it all go away but that wasn't possible. "Sorry, that was stupid."