Partners - Chapter 3

"You must have been dropped on your head as a baby. Correction, you were drop kicked over a fence and drowned in a river. No one is this bad at writing."

Eren flung his head back and covered his eyes in frustration. He should have just turned in the essay. "It's like you didn't even go to high school," Levi flung his hand towards the laptop screen.

"Can you please just help me," Eren mumbled into his hands. Levi highlighted several sentences in the document.

"Redo those."

Eren sat back up and began working again. After a moment, Levi started to fidget, and started digging through his pockets. Eren just sat silent as Levi let out a groan of frustration and pulled out his phone.

Finally Eren asked, "What's wrong?"

"I left my apartment and car keys in Hanji's stupid dorm." Levi muttered.

"Apartment? I thought you had a dorm," Eren replied as he typed.

"No, I live in the complex across the street. I can see the freshman dorm entrance from my window." Levi set down his phone.

"Did you text Hanji?"

"Yeah dipshit. She said she'd bring them by later." Levi sat back in his chair.

"Well excuse me for being concerned." Eren huffed back.

"Work. I don't have all fuckin' day."

Eren had found himself making a late night run to the store again. Armin, Ymir, and Christa and he had spent about three hours playing games and drinking in their dorm room instead of studying. After a while they had decided that they were all going to go to dinner. Still having homework Eren stayed behind, therefore, missing the opportunity to eat. At about three in the morning his hunger was unbelievable so he decided to go for a walk down to the 24/hour Taco Bell a couple blocks down. It was a quiet walk, the only sounds being the occasional car driving by. The road was lit up by street lights but some had gone out, leaving certain areas darker than others. Eren passed by a bakery and then a convenient store. He saw the Taco Bell come into view, along with about two cars in the parking lot. Good, not too busy then.

As Eren walked into the lot, he noticed a group of people hanging out around the side of the building. Their talking became louder and louder.

"Hey man, that's the kid!"

"The one that kicked your asses?"

"Fuck you man."

"Look. This time he doesn't have his buddy."

Eren's eyes widened, and his breath quickened. Oh shit! He looked around. He wasn't close enough to bolt into the Taco Bell, and he knew he wasn't fast enough to out run them. But he ran anyways. He immediately turned around and booked it.

"Hey!"

"Fuck! Get him!"

Eren ran and ran, but he screamed as he felt hands grab his wrist and throw him. He stumbled down by an old building where a street lamp had gone out.

"H-hey-" Eren began, but was picked up by his shirt.

"Where's your friends little guy?" A huge man lifted him with one arm. His breath smelt absolutely horrid. He definitely did not fight this guy two days ago. He looked around to see a group of at least five.

Shit. Eren felt helpless. Shit shit shit. I can fight, but not this many.

He braced himself as a punch landed straight in his cheek. He was dropped, and rolled out of the way of a kick. He felt proud to have thrown off the man for a second, only to be rushed by the other four. He desperately tried to block, tried to run, tried anything to escape the punches.