Run(1)

April 29, 2056

Diary of Alexia Delton

James was at school again yesterday he told me that they taught him all about the World War Two. It would be awful if my father left to go to war, it just makes you think about all the fatherless children. I love to hear all about the stories James hears in history. I wish I went to school but mom and dad still can't afford to send me yet. Dad keeps saying that when he gets a better job he will send me to the best school in the world. I used to believe him when I was younger but now I know that is never going to happen so I have to keep up to date with James...

"Alexia, can you please go and Finnish your house work? Me and your father are going to work." I hear my mothers voice ring from behind me. I slap my diary closed and throw it under my covers.

"Do you ever knock?" I say turning to face mom.

"Sorry hun, but we really need to go." She replies pulling on some nice shoes.

"How can I do house work when I don't know where you go?" I state. she looks at me with a knowing look.

"Ally you know I can't tell you. it's too-" she starts.

"I know, I know. It's too dangerous and if we find out it could get us hurt." I finish. She sighs and leaves the room to get dressed. I take my diary out from under my covers and toss it into one of my drawers before slipping on some overalls and combing out my scarlet red hair. I walk through our small cottage to the back door. When I get outside I stop and take a deep breath of fresh air. I have always loved being out in the open with no polluting cars or tall sky scrapers.

I gaze over the farm.

"Lexi! Come on!" My call echoes through the rolling hills. A sweet whinny breaks the science and Lexi comes cantering gracefully up the hill with her head held high and tail erect. I smile to myself at how beautiful she is with her shining silver mane and strong rippling muscles. I walk over to the fence to greet her and she nudges my pockets for food.

"Yes I brought you something." I laugh handing her a carrot. She munches it down eagerly then nudges me again.

"Sorry sweetie that's all I could get. Mom wouldn't let me take anything else." I say running my hand down her beautiful grey neck. I give her a quick cuddle then run to the hay shed. It takes my eyes a while to adjust to the dark gloomy old room. I walk over to where the last of the hay is and grab a few blocks throwing them in the wheel barrow. I roll it out of the dark shed bumping through the pugged up pastures. It was a hard winter this year. it snowed a lot leaving barely enough grass for the cattle. We are just lucky that we still have enough hay to feed them.

I reach the fence where the cows are waiting patiently, their heads over the fence and liquid black eyes watching me with interest. I throw the blocks over one by one down the fence line making sure to spread them out then I roll the wheel barrow over to where Lexi is waiting for her dinner. I throw the last block of hay over.

"There you go Lex," I say happily as she trots over and begins to munch her hay. I lean against the fence and gaze at her. I could stand here all day and just watch her eating her hay, but unfortunately I had to get dinner ready.

I put the wheel burrow back then run over to the chicken coop and take the eggs out.

"One, two, three..." I count as I go along, "...Six, seven, eight." I shove them in my pocket. Maybe for dinner I will make scrambled eggs and get a few vegetables from the garden. I'm not in the mood for cooking a big meal. As soon as I walk into the cottage I am welcomed by the warmth of the fire. James must be home already. I walk into the small lounge and see James sitting reading one of his school books.

"What did they teach you today?" I ask generally interested.

James looks up from the novel, "They told us about the Nazis' and there concentration camps." He says showing me the cover of his book. It read 'Adolf Hitler'

"Oh I think I remember dad telling us stories about about him." I say glumly remembering stories of how he would gas people because of what they looked like and where they came from.

"I'm guessing you don't need to know then?" He asks. I shake my head and he shrugs, "I didn't want to learn about him either but they made us. What's for dinner?" He asks changing the subject.

"Scrambled eggs." I grin, "Now can you get off your butt and get some vegetables from the garden?"