The Accident

When we make it to the park, Stevie breaks free and runs to the swings. Lizz takes my hand and we twine fingers, ignoring the stares, as usual. When we got to the swings, Stevie-Rae was begging for someone to push her.

         “I got it, love.” I walk over and start pushing Stevie high, like the way she likes it. Lizz sits on her own swing and starts swinging higher and higher. When she was at the top, she flung herself off the swing, landing gracefully on her feet.

         “My towrn mommy?” Stevie flings herself off, following Lizz example.

         “NO!!” but it was too late. She was in the air. Luckily she wasn’t that high off the ground, but she still screamed bloody Marry when she hit the ground, square on her knee. Lizz and I both ran, full speed to her. She had a huge gash on her knee but thankfully it wasn’t broken.

         “Get the backpack! Hurry!” Lizz runs to the swing and grabs the pack.

         “Shh…It’s okay, sweetie. That hurt, huh? Yeah, I bet it did. We won’t do that again, right?” she nods and sniffles. Just then, Lizz walks up with the bag. I open it and pull out the first-aid kit I packed. I take out gaze, peroxide, and one of those large, square band-aids.

         “Now, honey, this is going to hurt. But it’ll make you all better. So you can’t move too much, okay? Can you do that for mommy?” she nods and sniffles again. I soaked the gaze in peroxide.

         “Okay, here it comes, sweetie.” she grabs Lizz’s hand and I clean the gash as she cries again.

         “Oh…I’m so sorry Stevie. All done, all done.” I put the band-aid on and clean everything up. Stevie-Rae buries her face in Lizz’s chest. Lizz’s rubs her back as I sigh and say, “I think it’s time for us to go home. Sorry Stevie, really I am.” Stevie-Rae jumps up and shouts, “No mommy, no home! ANO HOME!” then she got up and ran to hide behind a tree.

         “Think we should call Jade?” Lizz agrees and I call and tell her what’s going on, asking her to watch Stevie for us. She agreed with good grace.

         “Thanks Jade, you’re the best.” I hang up the phone then say, “Well she said yes, so, still want to go to the lake?” Lizz nods enthusiastically

         “Stevie-Rae, sweet pea? Can you come here please? We’re not going home, I promise.” she peaks at us then walks over.

         “Yesh mommy?” she hops into my lap.

         “Aunt Jade is coming to watch you, mkay? You’ll be good for her, right?” she smiles sweetly and nods, “‘Course I wiw, mommy. I pwomise.” she smiles again.

         “Good girl.” I kiss her forehead softly and we all sit there and wait for Jade.