The Start

It was bright and warm, like mid-spring, and I was in an elegant white dress. Up ahead I saw her, even in my dreams she was an angel; Lizz. She was also in white, which told me this was a wedding. Our wedding? I didn’t care, I started running to her. But when she caught sight of me she turned and booked it in the other direction. Instantly, I stopped and fell to my knees, crying harder then I ever had before,

         I woke, covered in sweat, in the darkness. Lizz wasn’t with me; odd. I stretched and got up, to go shower. I picked out some silk panties and a matching bra then headed toward the bathroom.

         Showered, shaved, and teeth brushed, I decided I was hungry. So, I walked downstairs, only to be stopped short by the sound of soft snoring coming from the living room. I walked in to find Lizz and Stevie-Rae passed out, cold, on the couch. A smile touches my lips, hunger momentarily forgotten. I pick them up, careful enough not to wake them, and walked upstairs to mine and Lizz’s room. I lay her in bed, taking Stevie gently, and tuck her in. I shut the door silently and walk to Stevie-Rae’s room. I repeat the process and walk out.

         Back downstairs, I find some chips to munch on. I sit at the table, pondering my dream with ever chip. What did it mean? Was it a sign? I couldn’t tell, but the thought made me shiver. I shouldn’t think like that. Lizz was my forever and always girl. She’d never run from me, right? Shaking my head, I put the chips away and walk to the room. So gently, I pick up the covers and lay in bed. Lizz turns and snuggles to me. Smiling, I wrap my arms around her and close my eyes. I fell asleep for the second time today.

         I awoke in the morning from a dreamless sleep. I notice it was really warm and I smile. Lizz lays curled to me, sound asleep. I decided I was going to make her breakfast, knowing she would be awake soon enough. So I lay and think about what I was going to make her. I ended up going with bacon, a bagel and cream cheese, and some coffee just in case. I would drink it if she didn’t.

         So in the kitchen, I get the bacon and coffee started. Half way through, I get the bagels and the cheese. As I ‘m spreading the cheese on one of the halves, I hear foot steps come down the stairs and into the kitchen.

         “Morning gorgeous.” I flash Lizz a grin then go back to spreading the cheese.

         “Need some help, baby?” she walks behind me and rubs my shoulders.

         “No, honey, I’m almost done. But of you want, you could get the bacon on a plate for me.” with that, she walks and gets the bacon on a plate and hands it to me. I set the bagel halves on it, then hand it back to Lizz

         “Here, love. Want some coffee?”

         “Sure. Two sugars please.” I walk to the cabinet, get two coffee cups, fill them with the freshly brewed coffee, put sugar in one of them, and walk to the dinning room table. I set Lizz’s cup down and sit next to her. She sits and eats while I watch her.

         “This is good. Thanks, baby.” she smiles and finishes the plate. After the dishes were washed, we went and sat down on the couch, waiting for our kid to wake up. When she finally did, we both sprinted to her room.

         “Good morning, sweetie.” we both said at the same time, making us giggle. She reaches for Lizz at the same time she reached for Stevie-Rae

         “Are you hungry, honey?” she nods and yawns.

         “What would you like mommy to make you?” Stevie-Rae snuggles into Lizz’s chest, knowing from experience, that it must be warm.

         “I want some ceweal, pwease?” she walks out, downstairs, and into the kitchen as I follow.

         “What kind this time, sweet pea?”

         “Cookies!” we both laughed as she bounced in her seat. I get the bowl, milk, and Stevie-Rae’s spoon as Lizz gets the box of Cookie Crisp. We fix Stevie-Rae a bowl of cereal as she fidgets impatiently in her seat.

         “Here you go.” Stevie dug in before Lizz had the bowl completely on the table. We sit on either side of her.

         “Hey babe?” we look at each other, with as much love in our eyes as we had in the very beginning.

         “Yes?” Lizz answers.

         “Would you like to go to the lake with me later? Maybe take Stevie-Rae to the park first?”

         “Sure, love. That sounds good. Are we going to take Stevie to Jade’s after the park, or is she going to the lake with us?”

         “Let’s take her to Jade. It’d probably be safe like that.” I wink as I say this and she knew exactly what I meant. She blushes deep crimson and agrees with a nod.

         “So Stevie-Rae, wanna go to the park?” she squeals with excitement and nods, her mouth to full for her to talk.

         “Okay well when you finish, we can give you a bath then go!” I smile and we watch her.

            Not five minutes after I said this, she was bathed and dressed. We pack a lunch and snacks and we were out the door. Walking to the park, swinging Stevie, Lizz singing as I whistle the same tune, it made me smile ear to ear. We were a family, married or not, that’s how it was. That’s how it would always be for us. Well maybe not the ‘not married’ part, but everything else. I giggled silently to myself as I thought of this.