// fourteen \\

A few days later and Luke and Calum had driven down so many lanes, roads and motorways that Luke felt like he knew them all off by heart.

'Dammit, Cal.' Luke cried, thumping the dashboard. 'We're never gonna find them.'

'We will, don't give up, Luke.' Calum turned to face the upset man, his eyes soft. 'Do you want me to drive for a bit, so you can rest? We gotta make our way to a bed and breakfast soon anyways.'

'No, I'm fine.'

'Luke--'

'Calum.' Luke sounded stern so Calum knew that he had to back off.

'Just trying to help you.' Calum muttered, looking back out the window.

'If you wanna help, try silencing the demons in the back seat.' Luke whispered, pulling down a steep lane.

Calum couldn't resist looking in the rear view mirror to check if there were any demons, even though he knew there wasn't.

'Do you have any idea where they could be, Luke?' Calum asked as Luke sped down the lane.

'There is this one place but it's so far away.' Luke's voice was flat but his face was like a beacon of fear.

'Where is it?'

Luke turned another corner and looked concerned, biting his bottom lip.

'No, don't worry.' He suddenly said. 'It's stupid.'

'Luke, if you think it might be where Joey is, you need to tell me.' Calum placed a friendly hand on Luke's arm and looked at him with desperation burning in his eyes. 'Please, I want to get Joey back just as much as you do.'

Luke sighed and swinged into a layby, the tyres screeching against the hard gravel.

'Back when me and Sarah were together, we went on holiday. We packed our stuff and bunked off school for a few days to trudge for miles and miles on foot, backpacks on our backs. We shacked up in this little hut thing that over looked the sea. Back then, we were in love with each other. And Sarah....' Luke smiled, remembering when he used to be happier. Much, much happier. '....Oh Cal, Sarah was such a lovely girl back then. She had brains and looks and her personality was one of a kind.' He shrugged as his eyes misted over with tears. 'What happened 'eh?'

Calum remained silent, feeling that it was only right to let Luke reminisce, although, inside, all he really wanted to do was wrap his arms around the tall man, hug him tightly and tell him it was all going to be okay.

'Anyway,' Luke cleared his throat and loosened his grip on the steering wheel. 'When we were about to go to sleep, the night we arrived in the hut, she told me something. She told me that if she ever had to run away, if she ever had to leave for some reason, she would run to that hut. That's where she would stay.'

'Well then,' Calum opened his door, checked for oncoming cars and walked around to the driver's side, opening Luke's door. 'Looks like that's where we're going.'

'What are you doing?' Luke frowned as Calum leaned over him and undid his seatbelt for him.

'Get out. I'm driving.' Calum stated.

'Cal--'

'Luke, if you don't get out the car, I'm gonna drag you out.' Calum raised his eyebrows and placed his hands firmly on his hips, his jaw set in an alarmingly alluring manner.

'Talk about bossy.' Luke huffed, climbing out the car and shoving his hands in his pockets.

'That's a trait you need to have to become a nursery teacher, I'm afraid.' Calum chuckled, sliding in after Luke got out.

* * *

Luke knew that the drive to the hut was going to take at least twelve hours so he tried to get as comfortable as he could while Calum drove.

Luke turned his head to look at the nursery teacher. At his stern face, his strong cheekbones and jaw. He imagined what it would feel like to punch it, whether it would hurt, or if Calum only looked tough. Of course, he didn't want to punch him he because he was angry, he just wondered how long Calum would last in a fight. Luke wanted to know whether he could be safe with Calum.... if Joey could be safe with Calum.

If both of them could be safe with Calum.

Luke discreetly shook the preposterous thoughts from his head.

Stop thinking like that, Luke told himself. Calum won't even want to see your face after all of this.

Calum could sense that Luke was looking at him but he didn't want to look back. He knew that it would just make the situation even more awkward, so he kept his eyes forward, on the black and boring road ahead.

'Get some sleep, Luke.' Calum said, softly. 'Please, it's a long drive.'

'How will you know where to go?'

'GPS?'

'Right.' Luke tapped the address of the hut into the GPS app on Calum's phone, then rested his head against the already cold window. It was darkening outside and the sun was setting, casting an eerie glow to the stretching road in front of the car.

Calum took a deep breath and took a second to take his eyes off the road and place them on the sleeping man next him. He looked at the way Luke's chest rose and fell, the way he unconsciously nibbled at his black lip ring and how his eyelids fluttered slightly in his slumber. This was the Luke Calum liked to see. The peaceful Luke.... The unconscious Luke.

A small smile slipped onto Calum's lips and his eyes twitched as he pressed down harder on the accelerator, propelling the two men further into the night.