\\ eleven //

For hours on end, Luke tried to get up. He was slowly getting there but his body was still aching, each and every limb burning. There was still no sign of the demons anywhere and the sky was growing darker by the second.

Around half past eight in the evening, Luke manage to stand up but his legs were weak. He had to grab at the edge of the sofa to keep his balance. He could taste a whole new surge of blood in his mouth and he felt dizzy. His head was pounding and his face hurt. He couldn't even imagine what he looked like.

Eventually, Luke reached the kitchen table, where his phone lay.

He pushed himself up onto one of the wooden chairs, already out of breath, and dialled the number.

'Hello?'

'...'

'Luke, is that you?'

'Cal....Calum!' Luke felt his body giving out and he fell forward, the phone clattering out of his reach.

'Luke? Luke, what's going on? Are you okay?' Calum sounded frantic as something crashed in the background, like he had dropped something.

Luke's head lay on the table, tears growing in his eyes as he tried to reach the phone.

'Help!' Luke cried, his throat tight, his voice raspy.

'Are you in the flat?'

'Yes.'

'I'm on my way, stay right where you are!' Calum cried before hanging up.

His body feeling like it was on fire, Luke couldn't do anything apart from cry and lie on the table, waiting for Calum.

* * *

'Luke?' Calum burst in through the unlocked door and slapped his hand over his mouth when he saw the state Luke was in. 'Oh my-- what the hell happened?'

Calum rushed over to Luke and gazed at all the many cuts across Luke's pale skin.

'My.... ex...' Luke breathed, reaching out to Calum. 'And her.... man.....'

'It's okay, shh.' Calum didn't know what he should do. Should he call the police? Or should he deal with the situation himself?

'No, don't!' Luke cried when Calum went to touch the deep wound on his cheek. 'They.. they took....'

'Took what, Luke?'

'Jo...Joey.'

'Oh shi--' Realisation hit Calum like a slap to the face. He ran a hand through his messy helmet hair and took a few deep breaths. 'Okay, don't worry. We'll get him back.'

Luke's head was still spinning when Calum carefully helped him sit up so that he wasn't led over the table anymore.

'I'm gonna all the police.' Calum stated, pulling out his phone.

'No!' Luke protested, weakly lifting up his arm and slapping Calum's phone out of his hand.

'Why? You've just got beaten up and they took your son!' Calum picked up his phone from the floor. 'I think this is a cause for the police.'

'Please Calum, if they find out.... you called police... they'll kill me.... and you.' Luke took in a deep breath, even though it hurt his chest.

'Oh, but Luke.' Calum groaned, kneeling down and looking up at Luke's bruised face. 'Look at you.'

Luke could of sworn that tears began to well in the nursery teacher's eyes before he stood back up and searched for the bathroom.