The Wolves

*Author's Note* Hi I'm Stephanie, I've never written a story and put it up on the internet before but my friends said that it would be good for me so I decided to put one up just to see how it goes. This was the first story I had EVER written so I put my name and what I look like as the main girl character...Don't judge me I was 9! Anyway, hope you enjoy it, I'm only putting up the first chapter for now, and some feedback would be appreciated thanks :) 

It was late, and the wind was howling like the wolf through the fog that was watching me with blood-red eyes, it's brown fur dancing on the body of the wolf as the light breeze of wind skimmed across its surface. I wanted to ignore it, to think that it was just my imagination, but I knew that it wasn’t, I knew it was real, but I didn’t know why it was here or why no one else ever saw, or why it hid whenever someone looked towards it.

I didn’t know why I was out in the snow white forest this late at night, but something inside told me to stay. The wind wiped my light brown hair around my face and stung my eyes, but I hardly noticed it.

“Why are you following me?!” I screamed at the wolf that was now slowly coming down from the tiny mound in front of me. Now it was ten metres away looking sharply at me with those blood-red eyes I had feared would come close. I was more terrified then ever, but this had to be dealt with. The wolf was now within a few steps of me and I could clearly make out her light brown fur that was patched with grey here and there.

I stuttered my question again and after a moment of silence an ear-piercing howl ripped through the night-frosted air. But it wasn’t from the wolf in front of me. As I turned around I saw that there was another wolf as black as night, with eyes as yellow as the sun and slit down the centre like a cat’s, right behind me, I could barely make it out in the dark; but it's eyes seemed to illuminate the wolves entire body.

I couldn’t scream, my mouth was glued shut with fear, my heart felt like it was pumping a mile a minute and my feet wouldn’t respond to my brain screaming at them to move. I started to hear the wolf behind me growl. Closing my eyes I waited for a bad bite from either wolf, but nothing started to hurt, so I opened my eyes to see that the black wolf was gone and the brown wolf was in front of me in a defensive crouch I was surprised that it was defending me.

As it slowly got up, it turned and started to come towards me. Fear rose in me again and again I was paralysed, I was sure that the wolf would turn on me, but it stopped an arms length away. When it reached out its muzzle, my hand automatically reached out too so that I could stroke the wolf, I felt like I wasn't in controlof my own body like soemthing else was making me do what I usually wouldn't. Its fur was soft as a feather not rough like bristle as I thought it would be, for a moment it felt like I was running pure air through my fingers.

As soon as I touched the beautiful wolf a kind voice rang out in my head, it sounded sort of familiar but at the same time strange and new and kind, it was a female voice that sounded like it came from the wolf.

“Hello again Stephanie.” The voice said clearly in my head.I snatched my hand away and stared at the wolf.

“What? Was that you?” I asked it, I was really starting to freak out, this wolf had been following me everywhere for three months, even when I went to Queensland for a week I saw it every time I looked in the shadows or out the window of my car and it was running alongside the car from the trees and bushes along the side of the road.

“Yes, I am Canistra.” She said to me through her mouth, she almost looked like she was smiling at me but I was still weary of her sharp looking teeth.

“Why are you following me? Who was that other wolf? Do I know you?” I asked not noticing that I didn’t take a single breath in between the questions. I pushed my hair behind my ear and tucked it up under my black beanie. It was really cold out here and my breathing was obviously getting faster from the number of white cloud puffs that emerged from my mouth every two seconds.

“I am following you to keep you safe. And that wolf is the thing that I am trying to save you from, that was Shadow.” She replied. I noticed when she said that last word her eyes flashed with anger. “I have been watching over you since you were but a child. Oh you were so cute.” She said looking as if she was lost in her memories until she shook her head and came back to the present.

“So are you still going to be following me around?” I asked her trying to take this in. I had seen her for the last few months everywhere I went, it was almost like she was letting me see her even though no one else ever did.

“Yes I must. You are my responsibility to protect with my life.” She replied bowing her head like you do to the queen. I felt temped to curtsey back to taunt her but I didn't, I was taken back a bit by the fact that she sounded like she was willing to take a bullet for me.

“You will remember me soon. It has been nice to meet you again Stephanie.” She said as she turned then leaped into the forest and was swallowed up by the shadows of the forest trees.

Her words were repeating over and over in my head. ‘You will remember me soon’. What did she mean?

“I will find out soon and I will remember.” I whispered to myself knowing that Canistra would be listening, I turned and started the long walk home to get a good night sleep.