Chapter 9

• Dedicated to Jenna

Chapter 9

He had asked to kiss me, my first kiss.

I felt my heart shoot up to my throat and the hot pizza go cold in my hands.

"I...I..." I stuttered, my mouth moving but no sound emitted from it.

Then it was as if he realized what he had said, his eyes grew wide and the blood rushed up into his cheeks.

"Oh my gosh, Cass I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to blurt it out like that..." He ran his fingers through his hair turning the combed locks into a scruffy mess.

"No no, its ok..." I put my hand on his forearm that was resting on the black tabletop. "I don't know to be honest... I just umm..."

"Its ok, you don't have to answer that question..." He laughed nervously, now smoothing his hair. "Sometimes I just say whatever it is I'm thinking, I'm sorry for being so forward."

"Its alright."

We both sat awkwardly for a bit, me with my face in the mug of coffee and him studying the paint color of the walls.

"Hello, I like your monkey!" Chirped a little girl who seemed to materialize beside me.

She looked to be about two or three, with two platinum blond pigtails on either side of her head that were tied with pink bows.

"Umm... thanks..." I began, but a little boy who walked up behind the girl cut me off.

"Matilda! It does not have a tail - therefore it is not a monkey, it is an ape." The boy stated matter-of-factly, crossing his arms and looking down at the younger girl.

"It's a monkey!" the smaller insisted, balling her hands into chubby little fists.

"Its not!"

"Is too!"

"is not!"

"Is too!" The girl then burst into tears, whining that the stuffed animal was a monkey.

"Stop that Matilda, mother wont be happy when she comes back from the loo." The boy scolded.

"Mama!" The girl then grabbed my monkey-ape and ran off to find her mother.

"Hey give that back!" George called after them, about to get up.

"Nah its ok, her mother will bring it back." I stated, taking a bite of my now cold pizza.

"Hmph, she shouldn't just leave them like that..." He grumbled cocking his head to see the children.

About three minutes later a lovely woman came up to the table and asked if her children had taken our monkey.

"Ahh yes that would be mine." I reached out to take Chico back.

"I'm so sorry about the kids, they won't bother you two again."

"Oh its perfectly alright." I smiled. "Oh by the way, it's a gorilla - his name is Chico."

000~*~000

The house was dark by the time I got back, but the flashing of the TV in my parent's room signified that they were still up.

"Good night" George whispered as I opened my door.

"Good night, thank you for a lovely time." I smiled, waving good-bye and shutting the door.

I quietly made my way up the stairs and into my room, flicking the switch I flooded the room with the soft light of my floor lamp.

Walking towards the desk I tossed my purse and gorilla onto the bed before plopping into the plush swivel chair and kicking off my shoes.