Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I came home that night with a bubbly feeling in my tummy, he had walked with me back to my door and said goodnight.

It was almost awkward, but I was so happy that it didn’t really matter.

I walked up the stairs like I was in a dream, not really feeling anything as I readied for bed and climbed in.

Turning over I noticed a photo of me and Jeanette sitting on my nightstand; we were both smiling on the beach with the sun shining behind us. Then I realized something; I was going to bed without telling Jen.

I practically leapt out of bed and shot across the room to the phone, picking it up I fumbled to dial her number.

Ring…

Ring…

“Come on come on pick up!” I shouted into the receiver, wringing my hands in impatience.

R…i…n…g…

“Hello?”

“JEANETTE YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!” I screeched into the phone.

“Jeezuz girl! What’s got you screaming in the middle of the night?” She shouted back, her voice crackling because of a bad signal.

“Its not the middle of the night for you…”

“It is for you, now stop changing the subject. What’s got you calling me at 11:30 your time?” She said anxiously, a giddy jitter in her voice.

“Remember the…”

“Yes!” She cut me off.

“You don’t even know what I am talking about…”

“I know I’m just excited.” She began to laugh.

“Jen listen! This is important – do you remember the boy I told you about?” I said seriously into the phone while my friend giggled like a drunkard.

“BOY!” She squealed, “You mean the George boy next door?”

“Yeah.”

“What happened?!” She giggled again.

“Jen have you been drinking fresca out of the bottle again?” I asked, moving to sit on my swivel chair.

“Mayyyyyybee…” She fell into another round of manic laughter; she must have had cookies too.

“Ugh, well anyway – He asked me out.” I swung around in my seat.

“…”

Silence with Jeanette was never a good thing.

I pulled the ear piece away just in time to hear her start to shriek and scream into the device, shouting things like “Omg I’m so happy for you!” and “Its about time.”

As I sat laughing at her reaction to my first date in nearly three years, my family heard the racket and decided it was time for it to stop.

I blushed up at the two exhausted looking parents in my doorway.

Mumbling an apology I spoke into the phone, “Thank you Jeanette for your input, I kinda have to go to bed…”

“You’re parents woke up.” She answered all laughter gone from her voice. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have made so much noise… SORRY MR AND MRS REY!”

“Go to bed girls.” My dad spoke before giving me a look and shutting the door.

We were both silent for a minute, me quietly swiveling side to side in my chair.