2.48 Dreams of The Pasts (2)

A few tens of lives later, her spirit had been strengthened. In heaven, Lei's initially cold eyes thawed considerably whenever he was holding her in his palms.

Lei sighed, "Bian, isn't it your job to wipe a spirit's memories clean? Why does she retain her memories of me? It has just been impeding her from a proper happy reincarnation she should be having time and again."

"But she is a lesser spirit. Her highest form would always be an animal or beast, or even a plant. Such treatment should only be necessary for humans. Even without me wiping her memories, she should not have even retained them. This is the first time ever that a lesser spirt is capable of such a feat." Bian reached out his hands, also wearing a slight frown on his brows.

The little spirit in Lei's palms shrunk her light a little, as if she abhorred everyone else's touch apart from the man holding her. Bian's eyes darkened.

Ming bit her lower lip, "Well, I think she will just keep continuing to follow you. Poor little thing... if only she were human... ."

Lei gently placed the orb into Bian's hands, "I still need to undergo a few reincarnations. But this little spirit should not follow me any longer. Too much mortal deaths will be bestowed unto me by our sadist of a sister, I do not wish for her to be involved anymore."

Despite her silent protests, she could not voice her opinion.

She wished she was human.

The deities were much stronger than her. Bian planted her spirit by the Endless Water, making her bound to the heavenly earth. She was now incapable of following Lei.

Lei imbued the ground with his own energy,

"Grow here quietly and just wait for me to come back. Maybe... just maybe... , one day, you will be more than just a little spirit." He smiled as he softly placed his palm on the ground where her soul was now laying quietly. His touch was as gentle as when she first saw him, dozens of lifetimes ago, when she was just a little fawn.

"You may choose a form that you think would suit you. Grow slowly, grow well."

Then he left, disappearing once again beyond the Endless Water.

Bian kept her company mostly during Lei's absence, but it was as if she could not hear what everyone else was saying. She missed her deity, and she really wanted to let him know.

She wished she was human... , or any form that would grant her the ability to convey what she felt.

A form that would suit her.

Once, he had said that the white flowers suit her. But a mere flower could not talk.

In heaven, there was no sense of time, so she did not have any inkling of it. One time, when Lei returned to heaven, she realized that she could produce little white flowers. Her deity's face brightened as soon as he saw her. But she was only an insignificant flowering tree. Nevertheless, if she could make Lei smile just a little bit, after the fatigue he had every time he finished his lifetime, then she would be as content as could be. She would always sleep after Lei left for his next incarnation, and she would always hear Bian whispering to her,

"You would always only bloom when he's around. Don't you realize who has been keeping you company all this time?"

"Why... why wouldn't you bloom for me?"

She withdrew her last blooming petals and paid no heed to his whispers. She had to rest, until the time she would see Lei again.

When she woke up the next time, it seemed that heaven was in turmoil. The usually tranquil endless water rippled wildly, the orbs of souls normally visible underneath were lost in the darkness of the water. The heavenly sky turned grey, and thunderous bolts of lightning flashed throughout.