9.

Evergreen.

Saturday, 7:28 pm.

Reeves/Black house.

"I'm just saying, you could've told me you joined the pack," Eliza said as she rinsed dirty dishes on the kitchen sink.

Dema cursed Uncle Billy under her breath. He accidentally blurted it out that morning at breakfast. At least he didn't mention anything about the bite marks.

"It's not like I'm an official member or something-" Dema started but Eliza turned at her with a frown.

"Honey, of course, you are." She reassured her daughter. Dema just turned her head downwards, to the opened book on the kitchen table. She was reading a book on Quileute culture. "Honestly, I'm a little relieved."

"Why?" Dema frowned.

"Well, for starters, you were getting really close with Bella," Eliza said and Dema rolled her eyes. "I just worried you'd engage with the wrong kind of people-"

"Vampires, mom." She pointed out. "They're not Voldemort, you can say their name."

"I know that. I just, don't know them, personally. I can't simply assume they're monsters. At least not until I see it with my own eyes." Eliza said. "You can't blame me for being careful."

"They're vegetarians," Dema said, her eyes on the book as she turned page after page.

"Oh, that's good. I guess." Eliza said, worry in her face as she analyzed her daughter's unamused expression. "But still, I'm glad you're not unprotected."

"It's not like I can phase, mom," Dema said, disappointment in her face as she thought about it.

"That doesn't change anything," Eliza said, sitting down in front of Dema. She put her hand in hers. "Your grandfather was Ephraim Black. An Alpha, a chief." She smiled at her, Dema looked up at her, her eyes going soft. "You've got it in your blood. No matter what, you're a Black. You're strong, brave and kind. Plus, you've got our good looks." Dema chuckled.

"I just feel like I'm in limbo. I'm neither here or there." Dema sighed.

"You're wrong. This is who you are. Dema Reeves Black." Eliza squeezed her hand. "You just have to embrace it."

"You're right," Dema said. Eliza had just given Dema an idea. She knew what she had to do.

Eliza smiled at her. She stood up, brushed the dust off her lap, and started walking towards her office.

"Hey, mom?" Dema asked, her mom turning at her questioningly. "Can I ask you something about dad?"

Eliza's smile dropped for an instant but, she nodded nonetheless. "Sure."

"How was he like?" Dema asked, her eyes gleaming with curiosity. Eliza frowned, looking down at the floor in thought.

"He was kind, stubborn and smart. He was brilliant, actually. The biggest smart-ass you'd ever meet." Eliza smiled as she remembered. "But, like many others, he had too much on his plate. He couldn't handle it, so he changed. He became someone I didn't recognize." Eliza said, locking eyes with Dema. "When I told him I was pregnant, he promised he'd go back to his old self... He died a few days later."

"Oh," Dema said. She was speechless.

Dema would never ask her mom about her dad. Eliza was always a cheerful person, so Dema avoided the hard-hitting questions. She was afraid of seeing her mother get hurt.