ll੨੮ll ...Embarking...

The red and ivory of the bangles, my choora, glistened in the golden platter filled to the brink with milk. Freshly plucked rose petals littered the space, floating delicately on the milk's surface and the space around my feet.

The swinging bench was brought into the palour room, more fresher roses lining the golden rods going up and down and draping marigold garlands around the room. I balled the skirt to the lehanga, feeling my heartbeat rise as the photographers seized the moment in their lenses.

We had woken up at 6, not nearly as hungover as expected which was probably a good thing, and got dressed roughly in simple lehanga. Since I was the bride, I chose a bright blue, with a cropped blouse again as the one I wore for my haldi and mehandi. My honey brown ends was done in a messy bun, the first layers pinned back and heavily done basic makeup.

My two beloved, but idiotic, cousins stepped forward and came to my either sides. They were wearing sharwanis of classic red velvet with some gold patterns, kneeling at my feet. Since my mama, mom's brother, wasn't present, they offered to do the honors of placing the bangles on me, after all they were the ones to purchase it. It usually meant to be a gift from the uncles but since given the circumstances, I honestly didn't mind. I was getting emotional nonetheless.

"Stunning," Jai commented when slipping the first of the thick golden rings.

"Ek dam pari vargi," Arsh offered when I turned to glance at him.

[Just like a fairy.]

"Mari Mani. Nazer na lag jaye," my Nani coaxed, sitting besides me on the swing. I hadn't see her since last night before she left to go be in Greysan's jago, and she looked so beautiful in her suit of  bright yellow today, she was glowing more than me.

[My Mani. Shall no one cast an evil eye on you.]

Shortly after a few pictures, Tess and Rosza came forward to lay forth the box with the kalire on my lap. Both wore suits too, Tessa in bright orange and lime and Rosza in peachy coral, makeup simple and only wearing earrings. They tied the gold ornaments, domed and in the shape of umbrellas, from the choora. There were multiple danglers, three and each smaller than the last.

I refrained from the tears as much as I could. Even after the photography session was over and I was taken away to be dressed properly. The rush of emotions, when having all the 21 bangles on each arm was entirely wholesome. It felt like an accomplishment I was dying for and had just succeeded in. I could've cried but having some threatening but loving friends were the best thing to ever happen to me. The smile the photographer had captured couldn't have been any brighter.

...

The Range Rover had just stopped at the door to the gurudwara and my heart was pounding beneath my chest. This is it.

It was so beautiful like any other one I've seen. Cold marble flooring outside with thick rugs visible inside, and the warm heating wafting out from the darkly paneled interior. It was a cloudy day, so thank the gods my lehanga was of the heaviest velvet in the darkest maroon to keep the cold from bitting despite the choora being ordinary red. The theme was maroon and gold mostly for Greysan's sake; I wanted him to feel comfortable without the bright red to hurt his eyes and OCD.

My long hair was tied and done in a low bun with darkened roses woven in and the chunni, from the heaviest shiny net fabric, pinned as my veil. There was gold accents designing the front of my cropped blouse and skirt, my neck covered in several round of my stones. I had worn the largest nose ring with a nickel size diamond and a thick chain going back to my hair and large gold plated earrings, while my eyes were done in some neutral brown to compliment the hazel contacts.