Acts

I just realized I have not updated recently to this. That must change. Now.

This is a very basic overview on the Three Act Structure that the vast majority of books follow. Some books call them "Parts" or "Books", while stageplays call them "Acts". They are the shape of the story.

Act I: You create a problem for your characters and bring them to a turning point.

Act II: You complicate the story with tension and deepen the characters, holding out hope but throwing wrenches into the works, then end with another turning point.

Act III: You make the situation even harder to overcome, build to a climax, and deliever the resolution. The story can either end happily or unhappily.

EXAMPLES: 

Star Wars

Act I: There is trouble afoot, a hero is needed, Princess Leia calls for help, Luke Skywalker meets the wise Mentor Obi-Wan but refuses the call to act.  The turning point comes when Luke's aunt and uncle are killed and he leaves home ready to accept his role as hero.

Act II: Obi-Wan and Luke find allies in Han Solo and Chewbacca, they face danger as they rescue Princes Leia, Obi-Wan's death is a sacrefice to the cause. The turning point comes when Han quits and Luke goes on without him.

Act III: The final battle and the return of Han. The climax occurs when the Death Star is blown up.

Look for the three-act structure in your story. Where are your turning points? Where does the plot thicken? The beginning of the end? You don't want a flat story line. Give it shape