Back to the Past...of the Present

There are three different tenses: past, present, and future. It’s pretty much impossible to write a story completely within a future tense, so let’s just focus on the two: past and present.

For many years, past tense was the way to go. Open a book, and it was nearly always written in past tense. Past tense is the natural tense we go to when telling a story: it’s happened, it’s already done for, but you’ve got to hear what happened to Dad and I when we went out hunting! The suffix –ed is abound in past tense stories.

Recently, the present tense has been gaining ground. An obvious example is The Hunger Games. I like the feel of the present tense; because it’s being told as it’s happening, it gives an air of tension and excitement. You don’t know what’s going to happen yet, because the characters haven’t experienced it yet.

I definitely recommend writing a story in different tense, and discovering which one you like best.

Now, here’s ARLockhart's problem. I’m a mimicker, just like the mockingjay from The Hunger Games. When I read something that’s in present tense and go back to writing my stories, primarily in past tense, I subconsciously start writing in present tense. It starts flip flopping back and forth between past and present tense, and it’s a pain to rewrite. Beware if you have similar problems.

Pay attention to your writing. Your word processing software may or may not catch the off-tense (it usually doesn’t for me).

Not this:

He opens his coat and takes out a knife, then smiled.

But this:

He opened his coat and took out a knife, then smiled.

Or even this:

 He opens his coat and takes out a knife, then smiles.

Pick a tense, and stick with it. Don’t flip flop on purpose; tense is there for your reader to clearly understand you.

Keep writing everyone!

Anyone have any suggestions for a future topic? Comment below!