Writers: Tools of the Trade

Greetings, fellow Wattpadians!

If you have an account on here, it generally means that you want to write stories. It either means that, or you like to comment on other people’s stories. If you are a writer, then you are probably well aware that your skills are not perfect. Depending on your skill level, it can range from “problems with plotting the dang thing” to “my dialogue is stiff and awkward” to “I have issues with run-on sentences”.

Do you want to know a secret?

Every book ever published, ever put to paper, has something wrong with it.

Go back sometime and look at your favorite book. There’s something wrong with it. It could be something as minor as weird wording in one spot, an awkward description in another, or it could be as major as a character that doesn’t serve the plot.

So, what’s the point in that, you ask? Why bother if perfection can’t be achieved?

Perfection is not what we’re looking for in a book, is it?

When we write, we’re not looking for perfection. We’re looking for a good story, something to get under our skins, inside us, and stick with us for the weeks, months, and years to come. A good story will always do that.

And as for you, fellow writer, your job is to write that story well. Do it justice. It’s your story, after all.