Chapter Three

Author's Note

I have no idea what inspired me to write this chapter now. It just came to me really. Anyway, I hope you all like this chapter. I was hopping I could give you all Jayce's small life background. Just a sneak peak that's all.

Have an awesome reading day!

XOXO

My jaw was clenched shut, my face felt tight. Tight and not able to change the expression on my face, I had a scowl that wasn't going to be easy to hide. Anger, hatred was the only thing I could see for Mr. Sean Blackwater. Sean could be skinned alive and dragged to hell would not suffice the desire for revenge. I ran my fingers through my hair, deep in thought.

Low-life... Those words kept repeating over and over again in my mind; making my grim face more bitter than possible. I couldn't manage to place my mask like all the other times. I was too upset to be even able to plaster a damn smile on my face.

Damn him. I repeated over and over again. I hate how those words were enough to just wreck my perfect afternoon. I was going to go to lunch, hang out with the girls. Tolerate their annoying talk about homecoming and what not. I would give this guy, I think his name is Ben, some kisses making him fall for me. Because I needed a date for homecoming, and my social image should might as well burn if I don't have an attractive guy by my side.

My day was meant to be freaken perfect, but now all I could think was how I could prove damn Sean wrong. I am not a low-life, how could he possibly call ME a low-life!

I gripped the grass around me hard, almost yanking a significant amount of damn green off the damn park. But I didn't want to ruin the only good thing about these projects. I mean, it's were I have most of my happy memories.

I glanced back to the run down project apartments. All of the apartments need to be given a fresh coat of paint. At least something to cover up all of the obscene graffiti that was painted all over the walls. Kids that are under the age of four are all running around playing with whatever toy were given to them from their last last Christmas or something.

All of the kids that are around my age, or a bit older were huddled over at one of the corners of the apartments. Just doing their own business, not that I have bothered to go over there and asked what they're doing.

Ever since that day, my mom did everything she could to give me a better life; to be able to raise me and try to support both of us. At that point in both of our lives, these apartments were the only option possible. Of course we had our roughs first three years were we would get strange visits from weird guys. There were the occasional missing objects in our home. Except, all of that changed when I went to the nearby elementary school were I met all of the young ones. All of the kids that were my age, and had the protection of their older siblings; whom let's just say had their contacts and their certain role in the apartments.

My mom, well she didn't want me to be friends with the kids; afraid that I would become the bad apple of the bunch. One night my mother cried when she found out that I had gotten in a fight on school grounds.  From that moment on, I figured that the best way to keep us safe and to be able to keep my image over at school was to lie to my mother. It wasn't hard at all; I mean it wasn't the first time I lied.

I hear my phone start to ring making me snap out of my reverie; I looked down and see its Camille. I clear my throat and slide to answer.

"Hello?" I answer with a smooth care free tone. At least my anger has subsided a percent or two.

"Jay baby, where have you been? We all missed you, did you feel sick?" Her concern was genuine but it didn't help that I somehow felt annoyed.

"Yes, of course I was just checking something at home. Mom wanted to make sure that I had everything I needed to go out and buy the dress for homecoming." Which was not true at all, my couldn't afford me any type of extravagant clothing like that.

"Well, speaking of homecoming dresses. Us, girls will be going shopping in ten mins. Would you care to join us" I glanced down at my watch and let out a sigh.

Not really.

"Of course, you want me to meet you there or want to come pick me up?" I stood up from the ground and started to walk out of the projects to get the taxi that was waiting for me outside.

"We'll go pick you up."

"In that case, I'm at Starbucks the one on Maine St." I said loud enough for the taxi driver to hear.  John, the taxi driver, and I have known each other for quite some time. As a matter of fact, we've known each other ever since I got into the school. I didn't want anyone to find out where I live. At that time I was determined to focus on my image. To be liked, not pitied at. Ever since that first day, he's kind of been my personal taxi driver. I always get him when I needed to go places.

He got the hint and started to drive.

"Got it, see you in ten babes" She giggled and quickly hanged up. What a drag, I hate that nickname and Jay... I let out a sigh of frustration just before I hanged up the damn phone. John turned around and smiled at me, it wasn't that of a creepy stalker smile. But a genuine 26 year old smile that was already tagged as friendly.

"I'm guessing hard day at school?" He turned on the left signal light. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"It was a swell day." I said sarcastically. John was probably the only person who I can lie to but not keep the charade that I was lying nor that I was fine.