sixty-five

I'd just finished cleaning the cup I'd drank tea from when my doorbell rang all of sudden. I furrowed my eyebrows, as it was still a bit too early for something like that, and I peeked out of the kitchen window, discovering that Harry's black car was parked in front of my house.

My confusion not having been lessened in the slightest, I made my way towards the front door, stopping in the way to put on a pair of shoes. I stood up again when I was done and opened the front door, discovering that Harry really was waiting out of the door. "I didn't think you'd come here so early" I commented, trying to make sense of what was going on. Had he argued with Niall again? Or even worse, had something happened at his house?

He passed his fingers through his dark curls, nothing in the action proving that he was distressed in any way. "We aren't going to class" he said simply and matter-of-factly, and I was suddenly torn between instantly agreeing and wanting to slap him.

"What?" I said, not understanding what was happening. Why did he want us to skip? It made close to no sense, and it was coming rather unexpectedly, as well. I was glad that I was doing quite well in all my classes, because I wouldn't have been able to keep skipping them with no repercussions on my grades if I wasn't, but I still preferred not to do it too often.

He played with the hem of the sleeve of his black coat, the action making his rings catch the light of the silver morning sun. "We can talk in the car, it's a long drive" he replied instead, the faintest hint of unsettledness in his voice.

"Alright" I said, perfectly knowing that, despite the fact that I didn't have the slightest idea of what was going on in his mind, I would've ended up going with him anyway.

He turned around as soon as I spoke, sliding his keys out of his pocket as he walked towards his car, unlocking it quickly when he reached it and getting inside, leaving his car door open as he waited for me to get in as well.

I took my coat and put it on, making sure I had my wallet, phone and keys before stepping out of the house and locking the door behind myself and walking towards the car. "Where are we going?" I asked him as soon as I sat on the passenger seat, and he simply gave me a glance in reply, that made me quickly understand that I shouldn't have expected an answer at all. "Alright" I muttered, buckling up my seatbelt and turning to look out of the window as he started the car and drove out of his parking spot.

After a few seconds spent in silence, he sighed. "We're going to Manchester" he said quietly, and I looked at him quickly, more surprised by the fact that he'd replied than by the answer itself.

"Manchester?" I asked, confusion evident in my voice, and he just nodded, as if there wasn't anything of slightly weird in him deciding to drive for over three hours to go to another city all of sudden.

"We're going to see an art collection" he shared quietly. "It has some paintings by famous artists, so I figured you'd like it."

I nodded, still feeling like there was something that he wasn't telling me, but deciding to just go with it, because I knew that pushing him would've led nowhere good - and I also knew that he would've told me eventually, if he wanted me to know. "That's cool" I replied, closing my eyes and leaning my head against the headrest. "How did you find out about it?"

"Some... papers" he simply replied, lowering his voice all of sudden, making me understand that he had no intention of clarifying his answer.

"Alright" I said, letting him get away with it. I opened my eyes when a heard a button click, and all of sudden a soft piano music invaded the car. Before I could say anything Harry switched it to radio quickly, lowering whatever was playing to nothing more of a background sound.