chapter 20

Cherry and Atticus managed to break free from the guards, but they didn't have enough time. They sneaked into the prince's room without being seen. They heard the prince talking with his father the king. They waited a bit and Cherry smiled and took out a picture.

"What's that?" Atticus glanced.

Cherry smiled and showed him. "Remember that day?" 

The picture was of a younger Cherry and Atticus being adopted by Cinderella's father before he married Lady Tremaine. 

"Oh, yeah, you kept it after all these years?" Atticus asked.

"It was the only thing I got to keep after those Tremaine lizards moved in and cut out old Ben," Cherry explained. "It's one of my prized possessions. That, and the old jacket I got from the orphanage before we were adopted." she hugged herself in her black jacket.

Atticus lightly rolled his eyes at that and took the picture gently. "I miss those days when he was alive... Then there came Lady Nancy Tremaine and our lives were ruined..."

"Is someone there?" the prince's voice called.

The orphans put away the photograph and came out to see the prince.

"Oh, it's you," the prince recognized them. "Wait, shouldn't you be on the ship with Cinderella? It's official, I've lost my mind... First, I was hijacked by birds, then I was talking to imaginary mice, and now I'm with two crazy kids that shouldn't even be here."

"First of all, Jaq and Gus aren't imaginary, and second, Cinderella's step-mother put a spell on you to fool you and she came to the palace to get Anastasia to marry you." Atticus explained. 

"Wait, hold on, hold on, I think I understand," the prince smiled, then instantly frowned. "Actually, I got nothing."

"Now what're we going to do?" Atticus frowned, feeling defeated.

Cherry was left in thought. She then turned and saw a music box with a ballerina and took it, placed it on the table and decided to wind it and explained with Atticus to the prince in song. 

Cherry: You were dancing with a very pretty girl

Atticus: Pretty girl

Cherry: At midnight she ran off

In such a whirl

Atticus: Such a whirl

Cherry: Her name was Cinderella

She's the servant girl you met

Atticus: She's the one you want to marry

Both: Don't forget|

Don't forget

At the ball, at the ball, at the ball

Cherry: Cinderella was the maiden at the ball

"No, I danced with Anastasia at the ball." the prince told him.

"No, no," Cherry shook her head. "You only think that because of Cinderella's step-mother."

"Miserable old cow." Atticus spat.

Cherry: With a magic wand, she cast a wicked spell

Atticus: Wicked spell

Cherry: Which is why you aren't feeling well

Atticus: Not well

Cherry: You've forgotten Cinderella

And the dance you shared last night

But we know it's not too late to set things right

Both: Cuz, at the ball, at the ball