Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Asher

“No, Layla. No way is that going to happen.” I set my mouth in a hard line as I stare down at her pleading eyes. I won’t give in, not this time.

“Come on, Asher. Nothing’s going to happen to me.” Layla says, trying to convince me to go along with her plan.

I force my eyes to close. Just the sight of her, begging me, like that is too much. I know I’ll end up giving her what she wants. But I can’t do it this time. I have to resist this.

Remember what happened last time, Asher. Remember when you failed her, when you didn’t protect her, when you almost lost her.

I squeeze my eyes shut further at the memory. God, was that only yesterday? It feels like I died a thousand deaths when they took her. And now she wants to go to the feast alone? While I keep lookout? No.

Her soft hand caresses my cheek, urging me to open my eyes, to give in. I bring my hand up to hold hers and turn my face to plant a small kiss into her palm. My eyes open and connect with the green of Layla’s. I suck in a breath.

“Don’t do this to me, Layla. Don’t make me choose between your safety and your freedom. I trust you, really I do. I just…I wouldn’t survive it if—“ My voice breaks as I work to get the words out and I take a deep breath. “Let me do this, let me protect you. Don’t make me let you go out there alone because you and I both know it’s only a matter of time before I give in. And I know that if you get what you want, if you go out there alone, I won’t be able to focus. I know that I won’t be able to keep lookout if you aren’t beside me. I know it. But do you? Do you know about the rip in my heart that throbs every second I don’t see you? Do you understand how it tries to tear my heart in two?”

I bring my hand up to cup Layla’s cheek, never breaking our eye contact, as I let out a ragged breath.

“Please, Layla.” I whisper, tears blurring the edges of my vision and threatening to spill over onto my cheeks. “Don’t make me feel what it is to live without you. I won’t survive it.”

“That’s the only way it will work, Asher. You know I’m faster than you.”

“Bu—“ I start to protest, but she places a finger over my lips and continues.

“You’ll be watching over me the entire time!” Her eyes scream into mine, begging me, pleading with me.

My eyebrows pull together as I stare at her determined face. I trace my finger along the side of her face, over the curve of her lips, as my eyes blaze into hers, forcing her to understand how I feel.

“Why did I fall in love with such a stubborn girl?” I say, my voice half-joking, half-resigned. As a single tear spills onto my cheek, my eyes close and I try to hold back from full on sobbing. I open my eyes.

“You’ll still be protecting me, Asher. You’ll still be my Lumberjack.” Layla says, as her green eyes pierce through me. I rub circles onto her cheek with my thumb.

“I just don’t want to lose you, love.”

“You won’t” She says, leaning forward to close the distance between us and place her soft lips onto mine, forcing away all of my thoughts. Nothing matters, nothing except the feel of her in my arms, the touch of her lips on mine. My hands roam down her sides and rest on her hips, while hers snake around my shoulders and tug at the hair on the nape of my neck. A moan slips from my lips at the feeling and Layla takes advantage, sliding her tongue into my mouth.

My eyes flash open as a burst of hunger sears through my body. Pushing her onto her back, I grab both of Layla’s hands into one of my own and pin them down above her head. Her face looks flustered as she breathes heavily from our kiss. As her eyes connect with mine, I lose all control and lunge for her throat, impatient to mark her as mine. I know she’s more than willing to have my lips sucking on the sensitive skin of her throat when she tilts her head back to give me better access.