Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Asher

Layla and I sit at the same table we’ve been eating lunch at for the past two days. Our plates are piled high with Capitol delicacies, but neither of us eats. My heart is still racing from being so close to her and I want, more than anything, to finish what we started in the gymnasium. If only I could make everyone else in the room disappear. If only we could be alone, long enough so I’d be able to press my lips against hers and kiss her until we’re both gasping for air. I look up, hoping I’ll catch her eye, but the expression on her face sends a chill down my spine. The reality of what lies ahead is staring us in the face. She doesn’t look at me. I lean my head against her neck, closing my eyes as the fresh scent of pine overwhelms me for a minute. Home.

“You’ll do fine,” I tell her, trying my hardest to calm her. My face stays nuzzled against her neck.

“I’m scared,” Layla whispers, her voice shaking. My heart swells with the need to comfort her, protect her…distract her. I wrap my arms around her small waist and pull her body closer to mine. Everywhere her skin meets mine burns with an ache that only Layla can awaken. I hear a sigh flow from her lips.

The feel of Layla’s body so close to mine stops me from being able to concentrate on anything but her. Her waist, small underneath my hands; her hair, soft against my skin; her lips, parted, inviting me in. My breaths are heavy against the bare skin of her neck and my heart is hammering against my chest.

“Brennan Reese” is called. I watch as Layla’s eyes follow Brennan as he stands from his seat, crosses the dining room, and walks through the doors leading to the gym. Layla’s eyes close as a pained expression haunts her features. Her body tenses in my arms. My heart shatters. She can’t let this consume her. Not if she has any chance of impressing the Gamemakers. And, hell, Layla has a better chance than any of the other tributes here. She just needs to take her mind off of…things.

My lips press against her neck. Almost instantly, I hear a gasp from her. I smile against her skin, but continue to leave a trail of kisses on her soft, soft skin.

“Asher, I can’t…” Layla says, her voice trailing off as my lips trail up. “I can’t concentrate.”

“What are you trying to concentrate on?” I ask, softly panting against her skin. A light groan escapes my lips and I continue my kisses up her jawline, kissing closer and closer to her ear.

“Asher,” I hear her voice pant my name. Another groan I didn’t know I could make escapes me. “Asher, stop.” Layla says, making me suddenly love my name. I don’t stop.

My lips hesitate as I reach the edge of her jaw and I take a second to catch my breath. My teeth graze the bottom of Layla’s ear, and I bite it softly. Blood is rushing to every part of my body as I kiss her ear, in the exact spot I bit it. My lips curl into a smile as I graze my lips across her jaw, slowly making my way to her lips.

“Not here,” She whispers, her breath hot on my lips. My eyes stare at her lips, less than an inch from mine. My tongue glides over mine.

“My god, you can’t just push me against the wall and start making out with me, Asher.”

I moan and my eyes close as my name falls from her lips. Her lips.

My eyes open. Her green eyes meet with mine and my heart speeds at the desire in hers. She looks like she wants me to do it, push her against the wall and claim her mouth with my own. Why shouldn’t I?

“And why not?” I ask her, a smirk playing on my lips. I wonder if my eyes reflect the desire brewing inside me. Can she see what she’s doing to me? Her gaze falls to my lips and then my eyes, alternating between the two.