Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Layla         

A wave of electricity runs through my body as his arms wrap around my waist and pull me closer to him. The gap between our faces is already closed, and I can feel him gasping for air under my lips. I beg him for more and run my fingers through his hair without having to look. It feels like a wall is separating us, even though we are stuck together. The force of his lips on mine makes it impossible to frown, but I contemplate opening my eyes to see why we aren’t really together like we should be.

I don’t open my eyes because I love the way his mouth is moving against mine.

I don’t open my eyes because when I do, it will all be over.

The wall presses down on me and I almost fall out of his arms.

“Layla?” he whispers as his lips tickle my cheek. I keep my eyes closed, hoping for more. “Layla, open your eyes.”

His voice is so honey-sweet that when I do, he’s gone.

Stupid, I immediately think as my eyes open. I am so stupid.

I know my cheeks are red when the memories of my dream come flooding to me. I let out a desperate scream as my head replays the words I so stupidly spoke yesterday.

I can’t spend all of my time affiliating with lumberjacks, especially not the shirtless ones!” I nearly shriek, and let out another cry of humiliation. What have I done?!

Maybe you still can, Lumberjack!” I cry. “Lumberjack! Fucking Lumberjack!”

I smack myself on the forehead, on the arm, on my cheeks, anywhere to try to rid myself of my stupidity. How could I be such an idiot?! He doesn’t even like me!

There is a soft knock on the door, and a voice to accompany it.

“Are you okay in there?” Finnick asks.

“No!” I respond, groaning.

“Well, you need to get dressed. Training starts in an hour.”

Training.

Asher.

I will see Asher at training.

I jump out of bed and begin prowling through the closet for something to wear. I soon find tight black pants, and a dark blue semi-loose tank top. These will allow me to train, but in style.

And show off more of your body to Asher, a little voice in my head says, and I groan.

I tell myself to stop thinking about him, but my mind ends up rambling off.

He probably doesn’t even like blondes. He probably has a girlfriend back in Seven! He probably thinks I’m a slut.

I let out a frustrated wail, and knocking sounds at my door again.

“What the hell are you doing in there?!” Brennan asks.

“Pining!” I shout back.

“What?”

Pine. Tree. Asher.

I groan again, and muffled words sound outside the door.

“Finnick says if you’re not out in thirty seconds he’s going to break down the door and carry you to the table himself,” Brennan says, repeating Finnick’s muffled words.

“Tell Finnick to leave me alone!” I shout, and bury my face in my pillow. “I’m not even ready!” I add, and groan into the plush pillow.

“He says you have five minutes to get ready and sit at the table!”