Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Asher

I hold my breath as they call Layla’s name. I haven’t been listening to the interviews. My mind has been way too preoccupied with thoughts of her. The feel of her lips on mine is still present, teasing me, taunting me. My eyes have been focused on where she stands ahead of me in line. I’m captivated.

Every now and then her head would turn back in my direction and my heart would skip a beat at the sight of her. So beautiful, I’d think before shooting her one of the smirks I know she loves.

But now it’s her turn, her interview, and can’t help myself from standing on my tiptoes to look over the heads of the tributes in front of me. I just need a glimpse.

I can’t see her. My eyes dart around the area in front of me, but it’s impossible to see her from this angle. My palms start sweating as I hear the crowd roar upon seeing her. I’m frantic. I need to see her. Suddenly, I’m jealous of the hundreds of Capitol citizens in the audience. They get to look at her.

“So, Layla,” I hear Tiberius start. I feel my heart beating like crazy in my chest. Just as I feel I might go crazy, my eyes land on a screen backstage. A screen that broadcasts the interviews on the stage to all of tributes back here. I let out a breath of relief as the camera settles in on Layla. Finally.

I can’t take my eyes of off her, seated only a couple of feet from Tiberius. I don’t think I’ve ever been more jealous of someone.

“What was your first impression of the other tributes?” Tiberius asks her. My heart races as she smiles at the crowd in front of her. God, she looks so beautiful right now. I can’t breathe. I can’t movie. I just can’t.

“I thought some were charming,” I hear her say, her voice clear as water. She’s talking about me, right? She has to be. I didn’t realize it before, but there must be speakers back here allowing us to hear the interviews. “Others were deceiving.” Layla finishes, drawing a small frown out of me. My eyes flicker to where Brennan stands, a few tributes ahead of me in line.

I’m surprised to find his on me as well. I threaten him without saying anything. My eyes say what my lips aren’t permitted to. If you ever hurt Layla again, if you ever even think about hurting her, I will kill you.

As I hear Tiberius start again, my eyes find their way away from Brennan and land on the screen that Layla is on.

“Charming, huh?” Tiberius asks as I catch the smirk forming on Layla’s face. I feel my own smirk forming to match hers. “Sounds like an interesting story behind that.”

Her smirk grows on her face and I find myself hanging on every word that leaves her mouth.

“Only one tribute in particular, really,” She starts as my heart swells in my chest. “And I would tell you,” She says, her voice quieter now. “but it’s sort of our little secret.”

The sound of the Capitol citizens cheering matches the wild beating of my heart. Is this really happening? I think as I force myself to stay in place, I will myself not to run onto stage and hold her in my arms. Later, I promise myself.

Layla turns to face Tiberius.

“This wouldn’t have anything to do with the rumors that are going around about you and another tribute cozying up, would it?” He asks her, freezing me in place. I watch Layla’s cheeks fill with blush as I wonder what could possibly be going on in her head, her absolutely amazing head, right now.

Her face lights up with another smile. I can’t breathe as I wait for her to say something. Anything.

“Of course it does, Tiberius.” Her words force a smile onto my face, an ear-to-ear grin.