63

"Starboard ahoy! Three masts! English colors!"

Marina and Morris pointed their telescopes to the north. A frigate sailed their way, most likely from Port Royal, only twenty miles away from the waters they were sailing.

"Looks like the Victory," Morris said.

Marina nodded. "Let's strike sail and wait for her."

He flashed a mocking smirk. "You intent to make amends with your old suitor?"

"Robin and I parted in good terms."

"Of course, considering your rush to go after Castillano."

Marina blushed and punched his arm, making him laugh.

They were right, and the frigate was Sir Dandleton's Victory. She caught up with the Phantom an hour later. The sun was setting, and both ships sailed together to the west in no hurry. The Englishman and his lieutenant boarded the pirate ship to have dinner with Marina and Morris.

The girl noticed that Robin looked more confident than dainty, and in the best of moods. His lieutenant, a young man called George Sorensen, had been in the fight at Limping Paul's tavern six months earlier, and he blushed up to his ears when he faced Marina again. But she pretended it was the first time they met, and Sorensen didn't feel awkward much longer.

"You ran away from your office?" Marina asked as they all sat around the table.

"Every chance I get!" Robin smiled. "You showed me how much I didn't know about this sea and its wars. It's up to me to make up for my ignorance."

"Sir Lynch send us on patrol when he needs us to," Sorensen explained. "The Spaniards are giving letters of marque to keep ships of different colors away from their shores."

"The problem is that the Spanish privateers don't stay around their harbors," said Robin. "Sometimes they're shameless enough to come lurk around Port Royal. Yesterday, Brannalagh spotted one on his way back home." He say their faces and smiled again. "He said it before walking into a tavern."

"And he was afraid enough to believe him," said Sorensen.

"Careful. A brigantine can bring Ken nightmares," said Morris, laughing.

"He described what can only be a heavy war frigate or a small galleon," said Robin. "Three masts and two artillery decks. At least forty guns."

Marina and Morris traded a surprised look.

"We've heard about at least two privateer frigates berthing in Santo Domingo," said Sorensen. "We think the Holly Avenger is one of them."

"Holly Avenger?" Marina repeated.

Robin shrugged. "You know Spaniards. They just can't resist bombastic names."

"And who armed those privateer frigates?" asked Morris. "The Spanish crown doesn't finance even their own Armada."

"Looks like the promise of plunder to pay the investment off attracted private coin," Robin replied.

"And rumor has it the Holly Avenger was armed with church money," said Sorensen. "The Inquisition, to be accurate. Brannalagh told us that she runs a big black flag with a white cross and a sword, along with the Burgundy Cross."

"Inquisitor privateers?" said Marina. "I'm joining Ken's nightmares. And yet, who commands such a large vessel? She must have at least a two-hundred-men crew."

"As far as Sir Lynch was able to find out, they've recruited officers gone rogue. Men experienced in commanding posts," said Sorensen.

"Don't be surprised if they offer one of those frigates to your fiancé, Pearl," Robin said. "He's still so popular, it'd be only logic if the Spaniards try to get him back." He noticed Marina had blushed and chuckled, his chin pointing at the ring in her left hand. "Come, now. The romance of the Pearl and the Lion is commented all over the Caribbean Sea in more than four languages."