3

The next morning, Marina decided she was sick and tired of the crutches and went out on horse after breakfast, meaning to go to the shipyard to make sure Lombard was taking good care of her ship, and that he understood they were on the clock to have the Phantom back to its best shape.

Cecilia invited Alonso to go with her to mass at Fray Bernard's chapel, and that morning walk became a part of his daily routine. He enjoyed the stroll through the wild island, Fray Bernard's simple service, and Cecilia's smart conversation.

That chance to know Marina's mother shed light on everything that surprised all those who came across that educated, sensitive and independent girl, him included. After a few days in Tortuga, he understood how it'd been possible for Marina to be so intelligent and innocent at the same time, as brave as generous. And why nobody who had a chance to know her could help appreciate and even love her. Soon it was plain for him to see that Cecilia had broken every rule to allow her daughter's true nature to develop into who she had become. And that she'd always taken care of raising her child away from the lowest, most corrupt elements of their community.

One morning, as they came back from the chapel, Alonso dared to ask about Cecilia's greeting the day he'd arrived to the island. They spoke in Spanish, because she enjoyed using the language of her late husband again on a daily basis.

"You still didn't know what had happened. But as soon as Marina introduced me, you..." He shrugged, like saying, "you know."

"I would've taken you in without knowing who you are, Captain. But the fact that my daughter introduced you as a friend of young Castillano's filled me with joy. It didn't only mean that he had survived his battle against Marina. It also meant they'd met again, and out of some miracle, not like enemies. Now that I know what transpired, I'd carry you on my shoulders all the way from the harbor."

They chuckled.

"A miracle," Alonso murmured. "Does it mean you regret what your husband did to Hernan's father?"

Cecilia took a moment to reply. They reached the top of the hill behind the house and stopped there to enjoy the view, as they did every morning.

"I loved my husband from the moment I saw him. I loved him for who he was on land, Captain. With me, with his friends, and for a short time, with Marina. The yearning for revenge corroding his heart always caused me great sorrow."

"Revenge?" he repeated, puzzled.

Cecilia smiled. "Of course, you don't know the story. Let me tell you about it."

Alonso offered her his arm to start the trail down the hill and she accepted. They went halfway to the foot of the hill while Alonso listened to her in utter surprise, as she told him about the peasants revolt in Andalucía and the tragedy that ended up pitting both families against each other.

"And that's why I'll never cease to thank God for letting the children grow up to be so much better than their fathers."

"What do you mean, better?"

"Diego Castillano made a terrible mistake and he never tried to make it right. Manuel didn't see him after the revolt until ten years later. When up to that day, they were joined at the hip."

Alonso halted to face Cecilia, astonished. She waved for them to walk again.

"You see, Captain, things aren't as simple as they seem. Diego Castillano and my Manuel were great friends back in Andalucía. But Castillano never had the courage to apologize, or even try to talk to Manuel about what had happened. He turned his back on his mistake as if that would make it disappear. And when confronted, he ran away again, so far he even crossed the ocean. As for my Manuel..." Cecilia let out a saddened sigh. "He was never able to get over that tragedy, even when he grew to understand that what happened to his family hadn't been only Diego Castillano's fault. He found in his anger and his avenging plans the strength to overcome incredible hardships, but then he wasn't able to find another purpose in his life. So Castillano's cowardice and my Manuel's obsession ended up killing them both. And they left behind two children who loved them and needed them."