46

It was pouring when the Phantom sailed into Port Royal Bay in the early nightfall.

"Ahead ahoy!" called Oliver from the top. "Our berthing's taken!"

"What the hell!" Morris snarled. "Who's been the blockhead?"

"If it's Ken or Marshall, I'm splitting their boats in half," grumbled De Neill, spinning the wheel in the opposite direction as fast as he and Philip could.

Marina walked out of the cabin when Briand said, "It's new, military. Reads Victory on the stern."

"Moor alongside her," said the girl. "And let them come whining when they want out."

"I like how you think, pearl," said Maxó with a crooked smirk.

Briand directed the maneuver in the growing darkness, and De Neill crossed the Phantom less than ten yards away from the ship that had dared to occupy the corner of the bay where Marina liked to berth, in order to keep the Phantom sheltered from sudden winds and rough maneuvers.

Port Royal was a hive those days, and tenths of ships of all sizes came and went around the clock, sometimes led by pilots without much experience, or still hangovered after their last bender.

Marina nodded to the Victory, a thirty-gun light frigate, a little larger than the Phantom. They'd been cornered in a foul berth, and the Victory crew wouldn't be able to move their ship, nor come and go on boats, without taking a long row around the pirate ship.

"If Lynch got new blood, we should stay away from the usual taverns, because the new redcoats must be in a frenzy."

"We'll send for Ken and Marshall to meet us at Limping Paul's. It'll be quiet there," Morris replied, pulling down his felt hat. It wasn't only Dolores' present. It also came handy to cover him in the rain.

They heard a shout from the Victory. "French ship ahoy! Why have you moored so close to us? It's dangerous!"

Maxó cupped his hands around his mouth. "You should've thought about it before stealing our berthing!"

"Move it! You cannot block a King Charles' vessel!"

Morris and Marina went to stand straight in front of the man talking to them from the Victory.

"This is Louis' Phantom! And we don't take orders from redcoats!" Morris replied. "If you want us to move, your captain should ask it to the Pearl of the Caribbean!"

There was a pause onboard the frigate, and the lanterns showed the guards trading whispers.

"Stay away!"

"UP Y—!"

Marina covered Maxó's mouth right in time. "Hush, old wolf. We're not starting a war over this," the girl whispered, chuckling.

"Yet," Morris said, chuckling too.

Marina waited for Maxó to nod before letting him go. Morris fixed the brim of her hat, they closed their cloaks and headed to the starboard ladder. On their way, they wished Briand a funny night onboard, keeping the watch. Marina, Maxó and Morris boarded a boat with De Neill, Oliver and Jean.

When they saw their captain didn't stay at the first taverns, part of the Phantom crew followed her to Limping Paul's place. It was the most expensive and exclusive house of Port Royal, at the other side of the soil and sand bank where the town had been built.

At first sight, it was just a regular two-story family home with a barn across the backyard and palm trees around the lot. There was no visible sign, nothing.