10

Segovia forgot about the prisoner, too busy telling Dolores about his heroic deeds in Peru. After all, where could Castillano go? And he kept that shy child away, giving Segovia a chance to be alone with Dolores.

Following their new commander's attitude, the soldiers onboard didn't come anywhere close to Castillano and Marina, who lingered together by the bow.

The girl managed to sit on a big roll of hawser without showing further than an ankle. Her improvised seat allowed her to fold her arms on the gunwale and rest her legs, that had found themselves resting on tight, uncomfortable shoes most of the time halfway to their full recovery.

They spent a long while in silence, simply gazing at the sea. And it was odd for both of them. In a way, sharing such a moment didn't surprise them, for they knew the two of them loved the sea. And at the same time, it was as surprising as unexpected, considering where they came from and the circumstances that had brought them together on that ship. But most of all it was upsetting, because they were forced to acknowledge that they shared such a deep, vital feeling.

Marina noticed her eyes had left the waters to rest on Castillano's hands, crossed on the gunwale. She shivered again, reliving that fleeting touch. Which was plain silly, considering Castillano had held her in his arms, even barely dressed. However, she realized her own hands were clenched in fists to keep from touching his again.

"I bring a letter from Captain Alonso for you," she said, keeping her voice down.

Castillano turned to her. "Luis? What became of him? Do you know where he is?"

"He must be coming back from church with my mother."

Castillano frowned, baffled. But he'd already heard Marina say the most surprising things in that plain tone. And they'd all turned out to be true.

"He's in Tortuga?" he whispered.

The girl nodded, feeling awkward under his stare. "Yes, he's a guest in my house."

"And how the hell did he get there?"

Marina flashed a tight smile. "Well... He tried to kill me when you were arrested and..." She shrugged, like apologizing. "He stayed with us in Maracaibo. And then I begged him to come home with me, to help me find the best way to find you. And because it was dangerous for him to go back to the castle unharmed after several days of occupation, and—"

"And he ended up in Tortuga. Going to church with your mother."

"I'm afraid so, Captain."

Castillano growled, fighting back the laughter trying to escape his mouth. He choked and coughed, grabbing the gunwale. Marina patted his back gently. He shook his head, saw her concerned frown and was forced to keep coughing not to laugh out loud.

Even risking another inconvenient fit of laughter, he asked her what had happened in Maracaibo after Lorenzo had taken him away. Marina told him everything, including what Dolores had done, with Laventry's assistance, before coming for him to Veracruz.

They looked at the sea again while she answered his questions, so nobody would notice they were having such a long conversation.

"So when the commissioner questions the witnesses in Maracaibo," he murmured.

"All of them will vouch for Dolores' account to the jury."

Castillano stared into the horizon. Marina wasn't exaggerating when she'd mentioned absolution. The way she and Dolores had played their cards, they'd created a true chance for him to be found innocent.

That was a situation he'd never expected. If he was absolved, he'd be given back his place among the King's men. Maybe they would even give him a new ship to command. And yet, how was he to accept a new commission? It didn't matter what the jury said, he knew he was guilty. And no legal absolution would change that. He'd broken his loyalty pledges, he'd betrayed his father's memory, he'd broken the law.