3) The Undivided - Looking Forward

Despite my dementia, my experiences had managed to keep up my job till this assignment which could be my last. It's said thoughts travel faster than light.

We arrived Lahore. I got off the groundrail. A piece of brick projectiled from the sky and hit a Sikh in front of my eyes, but his thick pugree absorbed the shock. A religious blessing at work, I witnessed !

"Duck," he shoved me to the ground and then looked above. We saw the sky was in grey fumes and the roof of a nearby building had exploded. No sooner did a mob come rushing into the station with sharp edges than another opposition arrived on the stage. Passengers were running hither and thither, with their lives in hands and within a couple of minutes the station turned into a pandemonium.

"Officer, safehouse ?" - two words, Raj asked the nearby GRP. That was our training to communicate in the shortest possible way at times of jeopardy. Time is the essence. We accelerated our feet and headed towards the three-storeyed waiting house. Ground floor was stuffed with scary faces, so Raj escorted me to upstairs where we finally took refuge along with only a few occupants.

"What's going on ? Place was supposed to be secured," I yelled. A middle-aged man sitting at one corner of the room raised his both hands above, implying he's innocent and the room's secured.

"It was, until now !" exclaimed Raj, "I advised for skyrail. They've hi-tech security installed."

"That would have been surely my death. No one's supposed to know or even expect us here, especially when our dummy has already boarded the skyrail to cover us."

"If that was a grenade explosion, we should not be together. Am going out to secure the perimeter. Keep it locked and don't let anyone in - You remember the code ?"

"Yes."

Moments later, I was alone in the room with a stranger. I looked at the time of my wrist watch. A thought shivered down my spine. Amidst this turmoil, is it still with me or Raj ? I checked my pockets. Yes, the pin-drive is with me. It has everything what I came to India for. Minutes of silence finally struck a conversation.

"Talking reduces fear," said the stranger, wearing a white kurta on white pyjama and a topi.

"I never fear. You look familiar."

"Yes, I am Peter Attley, the Leader of Indian Labour Union by occupation and mechanical engineer by qualification."

"You're British, in India !" Something uncanny heated up my eyes !

"After Britain met delinquency, India grew into an independent secular power. My ancestors immigrated here and aided in building the constitution. Although, Forward Block could never welcome us, but we resorted to the opposition, Congress Janta Party CJP. Forward has been ruling since then, except a few times and all I am looking forward to is peace, no hatred."

=======
Add star if you like,
comment what you don't.
Thank you.
🙈 🙉 🙊